Cannot Connect More Than One Computer to Wireless Access Point, After Switch to Cable

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

acschneid

Hello,

I recently switched from DSL to cable. No issues on DSL. Since switching to cable, I haven't been able to connect more than one computer to the wireless access point at one time. I have three computers, one running W7, one on xp, and one on Vista. All three of the computers have been able to connect to the WAP when connecting alone.

I am using a wap54g linksys access point. Setup is internet -- coax -- cable modem -- ethernet -- wireless access point

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : hsd1.ga.comcast.net.
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::8445:3604:b2eb:fdc4
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 67.191.155.164
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.248.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 67.191.152.1

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected

Tunnel adapter 6TO4 Adapter:

IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2002:1863:b303::1863:b303
IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2002:43bf:9ba4::43bf:9ba4
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 2002:c058:6301::c058:6301

Tunnel adapter isatap.hsd1.ga.comcast.net.:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:0:4137:9e76:c57:3ca9:bc40:645b
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::c57:3ca9:bc40:645b
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

cwwozniak

Chuck
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I suspect that your old DSL modem had built in router capabilities and your new cable modem either does not have router capabilities or has them disabled and is operating as a simple bridge or gateway. In either case, the connecting computer is getting a public IP address assigned to it. Most residential broadband service comes with only one available (and usually dynamic) public IP address per customer.

If possible you, should see if you can configure your modem to operate as a router with Network Address Translation (NAT). If not, you may need to replace your wireless access point with a wireless router.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online