Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
884 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  TerryNet 
#1 ·
So, recently, after my house got 'nbn', or Australia's national broadband network, my computer started having issues connecting to the internet. All the time, I would just unplug my wireless USB network adaptor, wait a couple seconds, plug it back in, wait, and I'd be ok. However, yesterday, it simply would not budge. I waited, as I didn't need internet yesterday to play my video games, and hoped it would sort itself out. Today though, I have tried to get it to reconnect, but it wont.

My PC is the only device in the house that won't connect, and my home WiFi is the only network that doesn't show up on my PC. Even my phone's hotspot works.

I tried uninstalling the wireless adaptor via device manager and reinstalling drivers, updating windows, restarting both PC and internet many times, etc. but no luck.

If any of this helps:
My Wireless Adaptor is a TP-Link Wireless USB Adaptor.
Model: TL-WN823N
FCC ID: TE7WN823NV2
It is version 2.
I built my PC myself, and apart from an ethernet port on the motherboard, the USB is the only thing on my PC that can connect it to the internet. No other wireless capabilities apart from the USB adaptor. I am using Windows 10 64-bit.

Thank you so much in advance for any and all help. I am happy to answer any questions about my router, network, or pc to help resolve the issue.

See less See more
#2 ·
and my home WiFi is the only network that doesn't show up on my PC.
That, and the intermittent nature, is consistent with ...

The wireless router (or access point) is choosing the 2.4 GHz channel automatically and seems to be changing it frequently. Sometimes the channel is set to 12 or 13.

The wireless adapter only supports channels 1 - 11 (because of hardware limitation, incorrect driver for the region, or incorrect setting).

There are other things to look into, but the above is number one on my list.

#3 ·
Hey Terry,
Thanks for the reply. I just did a bit a looking around, and found that Australia uses the first 13 channels, which is roughly 2401-2483MHz, which is just inside the 2.4-2.4835GHz range of the adaptor. I also took your advice for incorrect driver for the region and quickly checked and uninstalled, restarted, and installed the correct driver for my region from the TP-Link website, but, no luck unfortunately.
I also happened to try using the WPS link buttons (or whatever they're called) but didn't work.
I eventually decided to use my mother laptop to access the routers settings, found it was on channel 13. I then changed it to channel 6 (just randomly out of 1, 6, and 11 as per the internet's recommendations) and it is now working.
Thank you so much mate, you've been a massive help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.