Cannot connect old Western Digital external HDD

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

cuttlefish

Ian
I dug this old external HDD out of the back of my drawer and am just curious to see what is on it?

Its a red colour Western Digital Passport S/N WXE408CR9993, when connected via the USB Port the connected/disconnected bing/bong noise is heard and the power light on the Drive comes on OK but nothing in File Explorer! Device Manager does however show an "unknown Device" under Other Devices, tried uninstalling that, updating the driver but nothing to see there!

I've Googled for drivers for it, used Seagate Tools but nothing will show it as being there, even tried WD's woeful support but can't seem to find the brute.

On the surface it appears connected but no way I can get a looksee at it, any help appreciated!

You should see it in Device Manager like this.

1618549516195.jpeg

You can also see it in Disk Management (Right-click on Start and select Disk Management)

1618549571797.jpeg

If you don't see it in Disk Management then there is something wrong.

Western Digital has two different diagnostic programs. They recommend Dashboard since is supposed to have replaced Data Lifeguard.

Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for Windows
https://support.wdc.com/downloads.aspx?p=3

Western Digital Dashboard
https://support.wdc.com/downloads.aspx?lang=en&p=279

I tried the Western Digital drive above with Dashboard and it showed fine.

I tried the same drive in old enclosure earlier but it was not showing up. I tried the drive in the old enclosure again. This time it showed up in Windows. This is how the same drive in the old enclosure showed in Device Manager. The other time I tried the old enclosure I must not have had something plugged in securely.

1618552300947.jpeg
Unfortunately, the Dashboard program could not find it. Since the enclosure was pretty old I tried this setup with the Data Lifeguard Diagnostic program. This program saw the drive OK.

The easiest things to try are a different USB cable or a different USB port on the computer.

Then try Dashboard and Data Lifeguard Diagnostic to see if one of them sees the drive.

cuttlefish

Ian
Many thanks for the replies and advices but sadly I'm doomed to die never knowing what was on this faithful old drive! Had a long chat online to Western Digital where we did all of the above plus different cables, 'putas etc but never got close to having a peek inside the drive!
With the appropriate degree of reverence for an old friend, I have sadly binned it! My past life and mysteries will now be part of the local landfill! 🤢🤢

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online