1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannot connect to an external display

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by PCBuilder, May 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PCBuilder

PCBuilder Thread Starter

First Name:
    Richard
    Before I changed my screen resolution, I could show my PC display on my TV. I changed the resolution while I was on vacation to better fit the notebook PC screen.
    Upon return from vacation, I can no longer duplicate my PC screen on the external display - the TV shows "no signal." Unfortunately, I cannot remember the resolution I was using when everything worked. I had tried many in the pull-down list but to no avail.
    All the connections are fine and the TV source is HDMI1 - the connection I am using.
    I have attached a screen scrape when I tried to connect. Connect to an External Display.png
    The pull-down for 'Display' shows only what we see here.
    Can anyone help me?

Sysinfo:
    Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU M 580 @ 2.67GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 37 Stepping 5
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 3765 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics, 1754 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 452 GB (322 GB Free);
    Motherboard: Acer, TravelMate 6594
    Antivirus: Norton Internet Security, Enabled and Updated

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What resolution(s) does the TV support?

3. PCBuilder

PCBuilder Thread Starter

First Name:
    Richard
    My TV resolution is 1366 * 768. I now have the resolution set at the same numbers but still do not get anything - just "no signal"
    As I said earlier, the only Display that shows on the "Change the Appearance..." screen above is "1|2 Multiple monitors."

4. 123Zbyniek

123Zbyniek

What do you see when you click these buttons?
    upload_2018-5-20_23-10-13.png

5. PCBuilder

PCBuilder Thread Starter

First Name:
    Richard
    Nothing happens on either the PC or the TV when I click 'Detect.'
    When I click 'Identify' I see the following on my PC, nothing on my TV:
    Connect to an external display 2018-05-21_18-27-44.png

6. 123Zbyniek

123Zbyniek

7. PCBuilder

PCBuilder Thread Starter

First Name:
    Richard
    I changed the resolution to 1366x768 after the 1st post & it remains at that.

8. 123Zbyniek

123Zbyniek

9. PCBuilder

PCBuilder Thread Starter

First Name:
    Richard
    As I mentioned in my initial post, I have had this TV working with this same PC using port 1.
    My TV has 3 HDMI ports - I have been using port 1. I have tried it on port 2 & the same thing happens - "no signal."
    Connect to an external display 2018-05-22.png
    Here's a screen scrape of setting screen.

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I have no idea how you determined that, but assuming it is true than likely there is a problem with the cable.

11. PCBuilder

PCBuilder Thread Starter

First Name:
    Richard
    I disconnected & reconnected the HDMI cable when I moved from port 1 to 2. It is now back in port 1.
    In the screen I posted previously, I am assuming that I should see a 2nd display when I pull down the Display field. I also assume that I will only see something there if a 2nd display is connected & turned on. Is this true?
    I am not sure what the "1|2 Multiple monitors mean - can anyone help?

12. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I have now moved the thread from Windows 7 to Hardware, as I'm pretty sure we (that is, 123Zbyniek) have covered software possibilities and are dealing with a hardware issue.

The PC is detecting signals that indicate the presence of two monitors (in this case the laptop screen and an external one connected by HDMI).

I think that you and 123Zbyniek have covered all possible errors with settings, which makes me think that there is some problem with the cable or one of the ports (or something even deeper in the TV or PC electronics) preventing signals from the PC to be detected by the TV.

Unless you have very sophisticated test equipment I think you have to try one or more of

a. a different cable;
    b. a different HDMI source to the TV;
    c. a different TV or external monitor for the laptop.

The hardware folks may have much better ideas.

13. 123Zbyniek

123Zbyniek

@TerryNet
    I agree with you.
    @PCBuilder
    Before you consider the suggestions a / b / c from post # 12 check one more option about which is the information in the manual on page 5 (I have already encountered the accidental pressing of the function keys to turn off the sound and the user thought that the sound card was damaged):
    upload_2018-5-23_19-28-47.png
    I would add one more point to points a / b / c - check if there are any problems using the VGA port.
    What exactly do you have TV (company, model)?

14. PCBuilder

PCBuilder Thread Starter

First Name:
    Richard
    Now here's something really strange. After checking with another TV & HDMI cable, I decided to move the PC to my desk to carefully check it out. I didn't bother powering down since it would be only a few minutes disconnected. Well, on reconnecting the power, the screen went blank! I did a forced reboot and saw that the screen resolution had changed to show very large icons. I changed it back to what it was (1366 * 768) and noticed that there was now a 2nd display available. I reconnected to my TV & - viola - it worked!!!!!
    I have no idea why it didn't duplicate the display before & have no idea why it suddenly started working now.
    I will not mark this thread as solved in case anyone has an explanation for what happened.
    Thanks for all of your ideas & suggestions.

15. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    No explanation, but if that was the first time you rebooted since the problem started it matches my experience multiple times with an HP laptop running Windows 7.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1210426

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice