1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

cannot connect to http://localhost other errors

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by blanco411, Jan 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. blanco411

blanco411 Thread Starter

HP Pavillion a310n
    celeron 2.6ghz (about 2004yr)
    w/ 1GB RAM 80GB HD
    DSL Intertnet
    XP Home Edition (NO Install CD available)

Cyberdefender Registry Cleaner
    Windows Defender
    Malwarebytes (FREE)
    AVG Retail Version 9.0
    Clamwin Antivirus (FREE)
    (Have Hijack This if it's needed)
    All recent updates and scans have been completed. Performed the usual restarts disconnect , restart etc.

These problems all seem connected as I can access most programs, download, Internet, email work fine.
    Here's where I'm at:
    I cannot display localhost in my Browser.
    How do I Access IIS
    MS Update won't complete (automatic enabled and Update Site)
    MS SQL server 2008 won't complete the install shows IIS error
    MS VS2008 can't use on Administrator Account (Project creation failed) works on my limited Account.
    Local HTML files will load in the browser when disconnected from the Internet.
    I also cannot use System Restore as an Administrator. It says restore priveledges are disabled for this workgroup and i can't access Restore or Group Policy.

MS Visual Studio 2008 cannot create project, however in another user account I can use MS VS 2005, 2008 without any problems as a limited account. Cannot connect to localhost on this account either.
    Local HTML files load in the browser on this limited account.

What I've done to fix or recreate the errors:
    Added http://local host as an allowed site in Windows Firewall. Still cannot connect http://localhost

Firefox (latest update) ERROR:
    Unable to connect
    Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at localhost.

IE7 ERROR:
    OOps! this link appears broken
    DNS error occurred. Server cannot be found.

It appears I can ping from a cmd prompt.
    C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>ping 127.0.0.1

Pinging 127.0.0.1 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 127.0.0.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128

Ping statistics for 127.0.0.1:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

I need this computer for school and don't want to have to do a backup and reformat since I don't have an Install CD or the time (unless my only choice) for such drastic measures. Let's fix the localhost problem first and the others later. (seem to be related, or not))

Thank You

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

Check the HOST file using notepad. The file is located at \Windows\System32\drivers\etc. See if localhost is mapped to 127.0.0.1

I don't have XP Pro, so I am guessing on this one. Run services.msc and see if there is an IIS service, and make sure that is started.

Have you tried typing 127.0.0.1 into the browser address line ? This should reach IIS also.

3. blanco411

blanco411 Thread Starter

Thanks. I checked the Host file with notepad it is blank. Icon shows :hosts File 0kb.
    Please tell me what to do next. can you briefly explain how this file became empty for future reference? If not, let me know how I can fix it.

4. lunarlander

lunarlander

I don't know why your HOSTS file is empty, but it should have this line

127.0.0.1 localhost

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Get rid of CyberDefender Registry Cleaner. Depending on how often you've used it, it's unknown how much damage may've been done to some of your programs and the operating system.

Get rid of Windows Defender. It's crap. Replace it with SUPERAntiSpyware to work with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.

If you've got both AVG and Clamwin still installed, you need to get rid of one of them. Multiple antivirus programs will fight each other and bog down a computer and make it more susceptible to infection. Get rid of Clamwin.

---------------------------------------------

6. blanco411

blanco411 Thread Starter

Uninstalled clamwin, Added 127.0.0.1 localhost and saved to the Hosts file. Restarted and still cannot connect to localhost or 127.0.0.1. I get the same errors. Still researching.

7. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/972034/en-us

----------------------------------------------------------------

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/976226

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice