1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

cannot connect to internet or network

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by toymachinek, Feb 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. toymachinek

toymachinek Thread Starter

hey guys! ive been searching day and night trying to solve this problem but to no avail. any help is GREATLY appreciated.

i just got my computer back from the company i ordered it from since the motherboard was faulty. they installed a new one and i plugged it in and turned it on and everything seemed to be ok. however, i cannot get an internet connection and cannot connect to the downstairs computer that it is networked to.

i have an airlink wireless 802.11g pci card and am running in windows xp. the corner of the screen says that a cable is unplugged, although it is a wireless connection. i tried installing the card in a different slot but that did not work. the guy from the place i bought the computer from told me to uninstall the drivers and then install new ones but it wont let me uninstall them. does anyone have any suggestions?

-kyle

2. nathane

nathane

Sounds like you are getting confused with the LAN connection and the wireless connection. If you have a newtwork cable (and a hub) you should try to connect via cable.
    You should try to get the new driver for the new network card since XP can be difficult with its generic drivers.
    Do you see your network when you run the wireless network wizzard?

3. toymachinek

toymachinek Thread Starter

i do not have a network cable or hub and i tried to install new drivers but i wasnt able to find the correct ones apparently.

previously i saw my network but when i opened to wizard it wouldnt let me continue and it gave me a message saying that it may not work.

-frustrated

4. JBucknoff

JBucknoff

I have an HP Pavillion 9000v notebook with Vista Ultimate. Suddenly I cannot access the internet. The cable modem connects and shows the connection. Also, wifi finds my inhouse internet wifi. The Vista Network map shows the connection from the LAN (or Wifi) to the PC, but the connection from the PC to the Internet has an "X" on it.

When I connect my cable modem to my old Win XP laptop, I have no trouble connecting. The cable internet service says that it's a Vista problem and that I should contact my PC's manufacturer.

I have had some blue screen of death episodes as well as a number of "Windows need to correct errors on your hard drive" situations after I was forced to do a cold (push the button) restart when the PC froze.

It sounds like there is a general problem with Vista getting internet connectivity. It may not be very widespread, but enough people are getting it so raise flags. Can anyone help with resolving this situation. I need my interenet and my old Dell Inspiron is, well, too old to be of much use to me any more.

Thanks

5. kingsauza

kingsauza

I just got a new HP 9000, it was connecting to the internet fine but after 2 days it stop connecting. It connects from the computer to the network but it just wont connect to the internet. Like the other person that posted last, i got an older computer (slower) but i need to connect with the new one. Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix that problem?

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/541847

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice