Cannot connect to internet via wireless connection

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Shirls

IP config for wireless:
Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : acer-47cbe8a5ed
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 3:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom NetLink (TM) Gigabit Ethern
et
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-16-D3-E1-2A-C8

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom 802.11g Network Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1C-26-04-5A-4F
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.3
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.0.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.2
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 196.43.50.191
The laptop is an Acer Travelmate 5310 and the router is a Mega 105WR. Although it will connect to the internet via cable, it will not do so on the wireless connection although there used to be no problem. I have checked with the ISP support desk and we established that the wireless connection is fine - it just cannot connect to the internet. We gave it a static IP and DNS address as above because when we asked it to do the automatic option it could not acquire an IP address. After a week of phone calls to the help desk I gave up and went out and bought a 12 metre cable which is most inconvenient as it snakes through the length of the house! If you have any ideas on how to connect to the internet wirelessly I would be most grateful. The router is in my office and the one I want to connect via wireless is in the living room (it is my husband's laptop and he's driving me crazy telling me to fix it). Many thanks.

TerryNet

Terry
Assigning a static IP configuration masks whatever the problem is. Please change the wireless back to use Dhcp.

Has this laptop ever been able to connect to this particular network? To any wireless network?

Disable encryption and MAC Address filtering on the router and try to connect. Assuming success you can probably re-enable encryption and reconnect. If still failure please show another ipconfig /all with the ethernet connection and an attempted wireless connection (at the same time is OK).

Shirls

Thank you TerryNet. I will only be able to get back to you tomorrow as now I can't tear my husband away from his suddenly functioning machine. One thing though: This same laptop could not connect to the internet even on cable with the automatic option. It could not find the DNS server, it said. It's only working now because I assigned a DNS server 196.25.255.34.
Yes it used to connect to the wireless network with no problems until I had to change our user name with our ISP. However the ISP support said this should not have affected it as it was changed on the router as well.
But I will follow your instructions above tomorrow and revert (I am in South Africa).

TerryNet

Terry
No need to disable encryption if the wireless is now working. Does the router's WAN side have a good DNS server?

Shirls

Oh, I wasn't very clear. The wireless is still not working: it was the LAN I assigned a static DNS address to. But that address did not work on the wireless. So I'll do the disabling thing on the router as soon as I get possession of the laptop tomorrow.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!