1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannot connect to internet

Discussion in 'Apple Mac' started by jag1955, Dec 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jag1955

jag1955 Thread Starter

Hello Forum and i am new here.
    This problem has never happened before and i am at wits end.
    I am operating 2 desk top macs literally right next to one another.
    Mac#1-Mac OSX 10.6.8---turns on and i can use everything, it just wont connect to the net.
    Mac#2-Mac OSX 10.6.8--everything works fine including internet
    One connects fine to the internet, the other will NOT connect either by wireless or ethernet cable.
    I have tried troubleshooting myself but nothing works!
    The Network icon tells me everything is fine--airport and ethernet connected and strong signal----but it won't connect--says that the server where this page is located isn't responding.(google--works like a snap on the other Mac-very confusing)
    Does anyone have an idea of what to do?
    Has this happened to you?

2. Headrush

Headrush

On computer #1, connect ethernet cable.

In System Preferences -> Network under the ethernet connection, what Configure IPv4 setting is chosen?

If you also click Advanced button, what IP numbers are shown?

3. jag1955

jag1955 Thread Starter

Thx for your help.
    Info on computer which wont work is--
    For ethernet connection it shows Using DHCP
    ip address is 192.168.15 subnet mask is 255.255.255.0 router 192.168.15.1

The mac which works shows:
    Using DHCP also and IPv4 address of 96.24.164.13.....subnet mask 255.255.240.0 router 96.24.160.1
    I tried to change the non-working mac's info to match the working macs info but could not do it---too advanced for me
    Don't know what other details to post---kind of driving me crazy especially because i am hard wired to a router that works---Clear Communications WiFiRSU_cc
    Thanks for your help!

4. Headrush

Headrush

Have you modified the default settings on the the router?

From the info you presented, it appears that the router is connecting directly to your ISP for the first computer but serving IPs for the second.

If you turn off the working computer and restart the second one that wasn't working, does the info change?
    (This is all with WiFi off for now)

5. jag1955

jag1955 Thread Starter

don';t know anything about default seetings but i have an appointment with the mac people at the genius bar in 30 mins and will be back witth a post---thanks so much

6. jag1955

jag1955 Thread Starter

bottom line is harddrive was and has crashed....it had locked up on me 3 days ago and then i let it sit and could get back into the system.....so when i was in the system i could not access the internet....but the mac store people are very cool about diagnosis for free and they could tell that it was soon to be "toast".....so now i dropped it off at a local computer guy who will install a new hard drive----they use western somebodys drives....ever heard of them?> Mucho thanks for your help on this one

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1082499

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice