1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Cannot connect to internet

Discussion in 'Networking' started by noahbody, Jun 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. noahbody

noahbody Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium, Service Pack 2, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E7400 @ 2.80GHz, x64 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 10
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 3325 Mb
    Graphics Card: Standard VGA Graphics Adapter, 6 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 1863 GB (1845 GB Free); E: 931 GB (927 GB Free);
    Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd., EP45-UD3R
    Antivirus: None

I recently had to rebuild RAID on that PC. Did that, reinstalled Windows Vista on it (I doubt Win 10 will work on it and don't want to install Win 10 on it anyway) and tried to connect to the internet. The internet was working perfectly on it before. It's connected to the router with an ethernet cable, not wi-fi. I didn't replace any of the hardware or even unplug the ethernet cable. So nothing has changed hardware-wise. But for some reason, it won't connect.

I think the issue has something to do with the Network Adapter or the Network drivers.

Right clicking on Realtek RTL8168/8111 Family PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.0) in Device Manager, it says: "This device cannot start. (Code 10)

I've been searching and trying out solutions found on the web on another PC. Can't do some of them because they require an internet connection. Nothing I try works. One of the errors I get is this:

"Windows found driver software for your device but encountered an error installing"

So far, I've tried this:

Update Driver Software from Device Manager: It says "The best driver software for your device is already installed"

Downloaded Network Adapter Driver for Vista from here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/do...dapter-Driver-for-Windows-Vista-Final-Release

Put it on my portable HD and plugged it into the old PC, but the install failed.

Did the same thing with this: https://www.driverscape.com/downloa...-family-pci-e-gigabit-ethernet-nic-(ndis-6.0)

Install failed.

Same thing with this: https://drivers.softpedia.com/get/N...8-8111-LAN-Driver-61913052007-for-Vista.shtml

Install failed.

Downloaded 'DriverEasy' which couldn't complete because it requires an internet connection.

Found an answer here: https://social.technet.microsoft.co...vice-but-encountered?forum=itprovistahardware

Which may or may not work. There are several files in the c:\windows\winsxs folder that may be the driver file:

netrtx32.inf_loc
    x86_netrtx32.inf.resource
    and there's a folder called: x86_netrtx32.inf.resource

When I went to update driver software from the x86_netrtx32.inf.resource folder, it says: The best driver software for your device is already installed"

Please don't suggest "Just go buy a new computer." Brand new computers don't run old software properly, if at all, and that's what that computer is going to be for mostly. So there's no point buying a new one.

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Considering the age, I think the network card itself may be the problem if you have already tried different drivers.

I would look into a USB-Ethernet adapter instead, or another NIC that both shouldn't cost more than $20.

Is your motherboard BIOS/Firmware up to date?

3. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
  4. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Well you can tell I haven't had my coffee yet... nice spot.

5. noahbody

noahbody Thread Starter

So install a) "Intel INF installation" chipset 32bit, Windows Vista and b) "Realtek LAN Driver OS: Windows Vista 64bit,Windows Vista 32bit" in that order? Where should I extract them to?

6. Macboatmaster

TRY the Realtek driver WITHOUT the chipset driver - I think the chipset is recognised automatically in Vista SP2
    The procedure for the chipset is different - if you find the LAN works with the Realtek driver you do not need the chipset INF file

They are exe files, save them to the flash pen, copy them to your desktop, then simply click on them, they will extract and then follow the install guide which basically is
    Driver Installation
    To install the driver, proceed as follows

1. Launch the executive file "setup.exe"

2. Follow the instructions displayed by the setup.exe program

7. noahbody

noahbody Thread Starter

That worked. Thanks!

Just curious, why did the other things I tried say "The best driver is already installed"?

8. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Windows thinks it knows everything......

lol

lynx1021 likes this.
  9. Macboatmaster

IMHO it was because you were not connected to the internet so the
    could only check the driver files available on your computer and basically there were not any, except the one found from the install.

You need of course to now update
    I think updates for Vista are cumulative as they are for 7
    You will have to sort the latest of each but if it helps here you are
    http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Search.aspx?q=windows+vista+updates+after+sp2

lynx1021 likes this.
  10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1228064

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice