1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

cannot connect to machine via remote desktop

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ilyaz73, Jul 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ilyaz73

ilyaz73 Thread Starter

I am trying to RD into a machine that I can ping. RD fails with the generic "this computer can't connect to the remote computer" message. I checked and the remote machine does have the "allow other to connect to this machine via RD" checkbox checked. Furthermore I was able to RD to it about a month ago. Not sure what has changed since then. Where should I look? Thanks.

2. Ixalmida

Ixalmida

You may need to make an exception in your firewall for remote desktop on your target machine. To test, try disabling the firewall and see if you can connect.

Another possibility is that the computer name or domain name is required as part of the login. Make sure you are typing it correctly. <domain/computer name>\<username> is the format.

3. Sphinx_79

Sphinx_79

Ilyaz,

Are you able to ping the remote machine ? by Hostname( Computer name) and IP address?

4. ilyaz73

ilyaz73 Thread Starter

dropping the firewall entirely did not help.

Also I am having trouble figuring out what the IP address of the machine I am connecting to is. For some reason it does not recognize the 'ipconfig' command when I type it in a console window. When I go to a site like whatismyip.com, I get some strange IP address that I think is incorrect. maybe this is because I have Verizon FIOS.

Pinging by computer name ("blah.blah.com") times out.

Any suggestions?

5. Ixalmida

Ixalmida

Instead of ping, use nslookup ("nslookup blah.blah.com"). Do this from a computer on the same local network so your router knows to look locally. Your router address is what you are seeing when you go to whatismyip.com because outside your local network, that is all that they can see.

You need to get the IP address of the target machine worked out first. If you can't use "ipconfig", then go into network connections, right-click the adapter icon, and select "Status". Under the "Support" tab, it lists the IP address and network settings.

One thing to note is that the lack of ability to ping has nothing to do with lack of ability to remote in. The security settings for each is independent. If the firewall is disabled and you still can't remote in, see if there is a setting in your anti-virus software for remote access.

6. Sphinx_79

Sphinx_79

Ilyaz , What is your current setup like? Where are these two machines located? are they in the same network ?

7. ilyaz73

ilyaz73 Thread Starter

Both machines used to be part of a corporate "blah.com" network. The one I am connecting FROM (call it A) still is. The one I am connecting TO (call it B) is not. Both A and B have XP Pro on them. I created a local account on B, gave it admin rights and this is the account I use on B. So I suspect that the actual IP address of B has changed although its blah.blah.com name did not. Another change was that I installed Verizon FIOS where I use B. However, I recall that I was able to connect to B from A before. What I do not remember whether this happened before or after I installed FIOS. it might actually have been after in which case I am not sure what has changed afterwards to prevent me from connecting again.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/936843

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice