1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannot connect to MSN messenger

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by djade80, Jan 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. djade80

djade80 Thread Starter

Hi All,

I have upgraded to IE6 recently and now I cannot access MSN messenger, but can access my hotmail accounts.

Any ideas anyone ?

Ade

[email protected]

2. monted

monted

The thing has been down a couple of times for me lately. It came back up after a while.If not:

This is from the help section in mine,maybe it will help.

Ask yourself these questions:

Do you have a .NET Passport? You must have a Microsoft .NET Passport to use Windows Messenger. A Passport gives you a single, secure way to sign in to multiple Internet sites and services using one sign-in name and password.

As a Windows XP user, you probably have a Passport, but if not, you can get a Passport using the .NET Passport Wizard in Windows XP (Start, Control Panel, User Accounts, Advanced tab).

Have you typed your name and password correctly? Some sign-in names are case-sensitive, and some are not. If you have trouble signing in, type your sign-in name exactly the way it was when you applied for it. Also, be sure you type your password correctly because all passwords are case-sensitive.

Have you used the correct password? If you are unsure of your password, you can go to the Passport site and get a new one.

Is your Passport working? If your Passport is not recognized, try going to a Passport site (www.passport.com or www.hotmail.com). Sign in, and make sure you are recognized there. If so, your messaging server could be temporarily down. You can check its status on the .NET Service Status page.

Are you using Windows Messenger behind a corporate firewall? If you are not behind a firewall but use an Internet service provider instead, make sure that the I use a proxy server check box is clear on the Connection tab (Tools, Options). If you are behind a firewall, verify with your network administrator that the information you have on the Connection tab of the Options dialog box is correct (Tools, Options).

3. djade80

djade80 Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply,

I have already tried all those things without success. I can access Hotmail so my sign in is correct. I have recently uploaded my IE, after having problems with IE last week to IE6,

Maybe my settings in MSN have been altered.

Any further help would be appreciated.

Ade [email protected]

4. monted

monted

5. whitesweetie

whitesweetie

I am having the exact same problem as the person who posted this message. I am able to connect and use my hotmail account and I have the latest version, 5.0 of MSN Messenger however whenever I attempt to connect and sign in to my MSN Messenger I receive a message telling me that they could not connect me and that I must change my Connection Status in my Internet Explorer, however I am unsure as to what to do.

Please help me as soon as possible,

~whitesweetie

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/113976

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice