1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannot connect to my computer via Remote Desktop

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by shahgols, Jul 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. shahgols

shahgols Thread Starter

Hi everyone,

I am unable to connect to my computer through Remote Desktop using the name of my computer, but if I use the IP address, it works just fine. I searched the event logs for any clues and have the following, not sure if they are related to this problem at all, but figured I post them just in case. I gogoled both errors, on the first one, I found some posts that were way over my head. On the second one, I found a blog that said to run ipconfig /registerdns and reboot, but that didn't work. Here are the errors and thanks in advance for your help:

Source: W32time
    Event ID: 29
    Type: Error

The time provider NtpClient is configured to acquire time from one or more time sources, however none of the sources are currently accessible. No attempt to contact a source will be made for 29 minutes. NtpClient has no source of accurate time.

Source: DnsApi
    Event ID: 11165
    Type: Warning

The system failed to register host (A) resource records (RRs) for network adapter
    with settings:

Adapter Name : {3C756875-7578-4484-A448-F8995A4118BA}
    Host Name : sharona
    Primary Domain Suffix : ammcomm.local
    DNS server list :
    Sent update to server : <?>
    IP Address(es) :

The reason the system could not register these RRs was because the DNS server contacted refused the update request. The reasons for this might be (a) you are not allowed to update the specified DNS domain name, or (b) because the DNS server authoritative for this name does not support the DNS dynamic update protocol.

To register the DNS host (A) resource records using the specific DNS domain name and IP addresses for this adapter, contact your DNS server or network systems administrator.

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Re the W32time error
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/830092

The second error report regarding the DNS server failure is very likely caused by the first error re the time syncronisation.

Also see this
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307897

Re the connection by NAME problem.
    Are you sure you have the full correct name. Click Start, Right click My Computer entry, click properties, click the tab Computer Name. See my screenshot - on which the full name is erased for security purposes.

Attached Files:

3. shahgols

shahgols Thread Starter

Hi Macboatmaster, thank you so much for your response. I installed the hotfixes to the XP and there was a hotfix for 2003, and I applied all of them, but the same two errors still appear in the event logs. Any other ideas?

I apologize for the late responses, I won't leave the thread without some sort of a response.

4. shahgols

shahgols Thread Starter

I also wanted to add this error for the record:

Source: W32Time
    Event ID: 14
    Type: Warning

The time provider NtpClient was unable to find a domain controller to use as a time source. NtpClient will try again in 30 minutes.

5. Macboatmaster

Investigate domain configuration

The local computer was not able to contact a domain controller. Ensure that the domain controller is functioning correctly and that it can be discovered. Ensure that the local Domain Name System (DNS) server is online and functioning correctly. Review the events in Event Viewer on the domain controller and the DNS server for configuration errors. Resolve any errors that you discover. When the errors are resolved, resynchronize the client computer with the time source peer.
    To perform this procedure, you must have membership in Administrators, or you must have been delegated the appropriate authority. Perform all steps on the computer that is logging the event to be resolved.
    To synchronize the client with time source peer:

1. Open a command prompt as an administrator. To open a command prompt as an administrator, click Start. In Start Search, type Command Prompt. At the top of the Start menu, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator. If the User Account Control dialog box appears, confirm that the action it displays is what you want, and then click Continue.
    2. At the command prompt, type w32tm /resync, and then press ENTER. The command output indicates whether the synchronization was successful.
    To learn more about the Windows Time service and related tools, see Windows Time Service Tools and Settings (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=42984).
    Verify

To perform this procedure, you must have membership in Administrators, or you must have been delegated the appropriate authority.
    To verify that the Windows Time service is synchronizing correctly:

1. Open a command prompt as an administrator. To open a command prompt as an administrator, click Start. In Start Search, type Command Prompt. At the top of the Start menu, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator. If the User Account Control dialog box appears, confirm that the action it displays is what you want, and then click Continue.
    2. At the command prompt, type W32TM /resync, and then press ENTER.
    3. At the command prompt, type W32TM /query /status, and then press ENTER. This command displays the status of the Windows Time service synchronization. The Last Successful Sync Time line of the output displays the date and time that you ran the W32TM /resync command in the previous step. Also, check the computer name that is shown as the Source. This should be the name of a domain controller (or an administrator-configured time server) in the same Active Directory domain as the local computer.

6. shahgols

shahgols Thread Starter

Unfortunately this didn't work. I tried everything that I found on the internet, but nothing works. I'll be reinstalling XP. Thanks for your help.

7. Macboatmaster

You may find that you will have the same problem.
    I do not think it is related to the installation and file corruption.
    I feel it is related to the setup of remote desktop.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1008244

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice