1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannot Connect To Public Networks

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Bk12341, Aug 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Bk12341

Bk12341 Thread Starter

For a while now I have not been able to connect to any public networks that have a login page (hotels, Starbucks, schools, etc.) I have a feeling it is a settings issue because I used to be able to connect to these perfectly fine. This is really aggravating because I cannot connect to my school's wifi, so any help will be appreciated!

My laptop is an Inspiron 13 7000 series running windows 10.

Thank you!

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Did you change your default browser?

Maybe a firewall issue if you are not using the builtin Windows one.

3. Bk12341

Bk12341 Thread Starter

Yeah I tried doing both of those and neither worked.

4. Chawbacon

Chawbacon

First Name:
    Jack
    I encountered a similar issue several years ago. The root cause for my inability to access public WiFi was related to security settings within my browser. I cannot remember if it was pop-up blocker related, a block of java, etc... (Sorry - I have slept a few times since then). :)

If you have modified your browser security settings, fall back to the defaults and test, then slowly reapply your desired security configuration until you break the login process again.

I hope this helps.

5. Bk12341

Bk12341 Thread Starter

That’s hasn’t worked either :( I just get stuck at a constant loading screens on Microsoft connect/redirect.

6. Chawbacon

Chawbacon

First Name:
    Jack
    If resetting the browser to security defaults and turning, turning off Ad blockers, firewalls, and anti-virus (ONLY briefly) have not resolved the connection issues, then I would look at updating the wireless drivers.

You can go onto the Dell site and select Support and Drivers & Downloads. Then enter your service tag to see available updates. I am not a big fan of the Dell scan and update tools; but, they are generally passable for individuals that are not comfortable comparing driver version numbers. Also remember to make a good backup, just in case a driver install royally boogers things up.

As a side note: If this corrects your problems, remember to remove the Dell Update tools as they can be quite the system hogs!

7. dbsweeney

dbsweeney

Did you try turning off Ad blockers, recheck your firewalls or security settings?

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1215070

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice