1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannot connect to RDC with Linksys WRT45G router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by thesummers, Aug 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thesummers

thesummers Thread Starter

OK, so after spending several hours trying to work out why this doesn't work - here I am.

I am running two notebooks through a Linksys WRT45G wireless router. One laptop is just hardwired to the router, and the other utilizes the wireless connection. I am having two problems with this. Firstly, I can't connect when security is on, leaving my only option at the moment an unsecured wireless network, but thats not my real concern - I just thought I'd mention it in case someone thinks it may have something to do with it.

My real problem - connecting to my office desktop remotely. Now to do this I have to connect to my company's VPN - No problem. It connects fine without any delay. However when I try and connect to my desktop after establishing the remote destination, the RDC comes up with a message immediately after I press connect. The message states the remote computer cannot be found, but I know it can. Now I thought that somehow this may be a firewall problem so I disabled the windows firewall completely. I tried to connect again - there was actually a delay in between pressing 'connect' and the same error message coming up, but nonetheless it did come up and I still can't connect. I thought this may be a wireless problem, but it must be the actual router because I have exactly the same problem with the other hardwired notebook.

I have tried port forwarding on my Linksys management console. I forwarded ports 3339-3339 and allowed both UDP/TCP, but still no change. How do I configure my router to allow this remote connection? I really want to do my work in bed!!! :) :) :) :) (y)

2. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Are you sure this isn't a work firewall issue? The work firewall has to allow for Remote desktop ports to be opened. Also have you checked your work PC for any windows firewall software or anything?

3. thesummers

thesummers Thread Starter

Yes, I have been connected fine for months until I put this router in, so it must be connected to that.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/394912

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice