Cannot connect to school's Wifi Portal

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Chingpow

Firstly, I want to say that I know this is something that should be asked about at my school - and I did. I reached the Tech Office twice, and they said that they have no idea why it doesn't work for me. Anywho, here goes.

There is a wifi connection in my cafeteria that I can pick up on, and it is an "Open" network - and so I try connecting to it. The tech that I called said "after connecting to it, you should be able to open internet explorer - and it will take you to a page that requires your student ID and password - before you can continue on and browse the internet". So, I try connecting to the network. The connection never finalizes. It'll take minutes trying to connect, and yes, I do even have a green bar (strong signal). Then it seems to give up. I've tried using my USB Linksys wifi adapter as well, and I'm only given a message similar to: "Cannot associate with the access point".

To clarify, my internet wifi card DOES work. I'm using it now, at the library. I have tried asking different teachers and students... and have called the Tech Help desk twice - and even updated my wireless driver. Yet, it still does not work. I have a Dell D600 Latitude laptop, if it helps...

Added: I am able to use wifi in the computer lab in a separate building, but it's a different connection and does not have a portal login page of sorts.

TerryNet

Terry
I do not know, but I have a hunch that it could be firewall related. If you have a 3rd party firewall (security suite) what is it? And try disabling it for a test (a simple 'disable' doesn't always work, but it's worth a try).

Chingpow

Sounds like an idea. I'll try that tomorrow at lunch. I use Zonealarm (free version) by the way. Thanks for your time.

TerryNet

Terry
If it still doesn't work with ZoneAlarm disabled, uninstall it, reboot, install ZoneAlarm again and uninstall it immediately.

Another thing to try is Safe Mode with Networking.

Don't forget to eat, and don't get indigestion. :)

Have the Tech Department send someone to look at it. Sounds like the AP needs to be reset.

Chingpow

I tried booting it into safemode, and there was no luck. Everyone I've asked with a laptop in the cafeteria said that it doesn't work for them either, and I even tried plugging my laptop into an ethernet port, but no lights came on.. so I'm assuming the port isn't wired right. I'm sure that my cable works. Anyway, thanks for the time spent on this. I'll probably just wait til the end of the day to go to the library.

Again, talk to Tech Support and have them reset the AP. Sometimes they need to be reset.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online