1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannot connect to the internet through my wireless router.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by iPαwd, Sep 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. iPαwd

iPαwd Thread Starter

This is definitely my last resort. I've been trying for days to get my router to work, but it just isn't. Here's the details:

I have a D-Link WBR-2310 router. I have an Efficient Networks (< ?) SpeedStream modem. My computer is running Windows XP.

I can set up a home network and connect with other computers/devices easily, but I can't connect to the internet when I have the router hooked up. The wired PC can't even connect. I've read that I need to change the IP Address to a different one than my modem, because my modem is a router too? Something like that...

Anyway, I really don't know what I'm doing, so a step by step would be more than wonderful.

Thanks so much, guys.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

With the computer connected to the router, then again with the computer connected directly to the SpeedStream modem, please do this, I'd like to see both displays.

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD to open a command prompt:

In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following command:

Note that there is a space before the /ALL, but there is NOT a space after the / in the following command.

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

3. iPαwd

iPαwd Thread Starter

I wasn't exactly sure what you meant by "Just the modem", so I did it three times: Connected directly to the modem, connected directly to the router, and connected to the router and the modem (as I used to have it.)

Before I continue, there's a couple things I forgot to mention:
    The internet used to work fine when the router was connected. It wouldn't share the connection, but the wired PC would still be able to get online. Now it can't.

Also, when I connect the router through the modem and the PC, something strange happens. There's a little window in the system tray saying "You are now connected." with those two little computers. It looks like it does when I just connect through the modem. But whenever I try to load a page, I get a pop-up message saying:

I really don't know what's going on. Totally clueless when it comes to this stuff. Anyway;

CONNECTED TO THE MODEM:

CONNECTED TO THE ROUTER & THE MODEM:

CONNECTED TO ONLY THE ROUTER:

4. JohnWill

When you connect directly to the modem, do you have to enter a name/password to connect to your ISP? Since you have a PPP connection, I suspect that had to be configured.

I'm really confused about the connection to the router and the modem, I only see one network connection in that IPCONFIG. Exactly how are you connected to both, USB and Ethernet?

5. iPαwd

iPαwd Thread Starter

Yes. If it makes any difference, our user name is [email protected] and our password is F3Q7MK. And your right, it did have to be configured.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean, but I'll give it a shot:
    I connect my computer to the router via... "a blue chord". I think it's called an ethernet chord? Totally guessing here. Anyway, I connect a blue chord to the back of the router, in the first of four ports labeled "LAN 1-4". I then connect the router to the modem, from the "WAN" port on the router, to the only port on the modem (besides the phone jack, which is already connected to the phone line.)

I then power everything up, and, as usual, it doesn't connect to the internet. I used to be able to just go online without connecting at all, but now I can't go online no matter what I do.

6. JohnWill

Well, your IPCONFIG shows you have no connection to the router, yet when you connect to the modem and the router, you get a 192.168.x.x address.

When you're connected to the modem and the router (middle IPCONFIG), could you access the Internet there? That IPCONFIG looked proper with a good connection to the router from the computer.

7. iPαwd

iPαwd Thread Starter

No, I'm not able to access the internet when I connect to both the router and the modem. I created a connection a while ago (trying to fix the same issue) that always pops up and says I have a 10 mbps connection, but I'm unable to load any pages or anything. And again, I get a 623 error code. I tried to delete the connection, but it only appears when I have the router connected, and when I have the router connected, the internet connection connects right away, so I'm unable to delete it (because it is in use).

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/754380

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice