cannot connect to the internet using HTTP, HTTPS, or FTP

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

daveymac99

Hi all

I am unable to connect to the internet on my other laptop and when I run a diagnostic it tells me " cannot connect to the internet using HTTP, HTTPS, or FTP" and to check the firewall settings. We are currently running norton antivirus and from what I can tell this may be the problem but I don't know where to start to fix it!! Can anyone help?

Thanks

daveymac99

I should probably add that I am able to go onto HTTPS sites on both IE and Firefox.

Thanks again for your help

TerryNet

Terry
If Norton Anti-Virus's data is too far out of date, or if your subscription has expired, it may shut stuff down. Symantic's Norton Removal Tool works very well.

Are you sure you have no firewall other than Windows'?

daveymac99

Thank you so much for your reply. We have an old version of the Norton Removal tool unfortunately this is out of date and therefore won't let us to run it and because we can't connect to the internet it won't allow me to update it either. It is a vicious cirlce!!! Is there any other around this.

On another note we only have the Norton Firewall and I have ensured that the Windows firewall is turned off.

TerryNet

Terry
Can you download to a computer with internet access and copy the file by removable media such as USB flash drive, floppy, zip disk, CD, ...?

daveymac99

I will have to do it tomorrow from work. I will let you know how things go tomorrow. Thanks again for your help.

daveymac99

Hi TerryNet, I have managed to get the internet working on firefox by changing the proxy settings on firefox to "auto detect proxy settings for this network" and I have run the Norton Removal tool and reinstalled Antivirus 2008.......still no internet?

Any help greatly appreciated!

TerryNet

Terry
Do you want help with "I have managed to get the internet working on firefox ..."? :)

After that sentence I don't understand "still no internet?".

daveymac99

Sorry not much help am I!!! What I meant to say was that firefox is working but internet explorer still isn't working.

TerryNet

Terry
Have you fiddled with the proxy settings in IE (Internet Options)?

Search for "reset IE n" where "n" is your version of Internet Explorer.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online