1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannot connect to the internet

Discussion in 'Networking' started by stephenpen543, Oct 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. stephenpen543

stephenpen543 Thread Starter

I am running a Windows XP SP2 which is connected to the internet though a wireless usb to my netgear router. It has worked fine for the last few months but today for some reason, none of the web applications load. I still get a confirmation on Network Connections that I am connected to the internet, and my anti-virus still downloads its updates. But all of my web-browsers (incl firefox and IE), and other apps (like Google Earth and iTunes Store) do not load.

I have changed nothing but it has just stopped working. I'm flummoxed!

Thankyou in advance and i'm sorry if I haven't given any information that I should have.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    This is a good place to start for problems like yours ...

(From a JohnWill post)

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2.

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt.

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ip reset reset.log

Reboot the machine.

3. stephenpen543

Thank you for that.
    There is both good news and bad news.
    After I reset the Winsock entries and TCP/Ip stack, firefox now works.
    But for some reason Internet Explorer, Google Earth and iTunes (don't have any others to test) still do not work. I get an error 404 from Internet Explorer and Google Earth/iTunes say they cannot get a connection. Help please - i've no idea what is wrong!!!

4. stephenpen543

Adding some more information:
    The encryption I use is WEP
    Have Sky Broadband in the UK
    XP-Home Edition SP2
    Any other information needed-please ask.

When I type ipconfig/all I get:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Home>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : MotherDearest
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : SiS 900-Based PCI Fast Ethernet Adap
    ter #2
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-15-58-47-66-C9

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection 5:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : 802.11g Wireless USB Adapter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-12-0E-3E-9C-69
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.3
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 30 October 2007 21:53:59
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 02 November 2007 21:53:59

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Sounds like a 3rd party firewall blocking those other applications. With Firefox working you obviously have internet access and the ability to use a browser.

6. stephenpen543

I thought it was that, but I haven't made any changes to my firewall, and just in case it was that I turned of the firewall and still nothing came through! I hate computers sometimes!

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If it's not a firewall, something has gotten corrupted in the IE configuration.

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Could still be the firewall. Not unusual to see one of those critters still blocking some stuff when 'turned off' or 'disabled.' Uninstall or get it configured properly.

As John said IE could be corrupted or have a bad setting; I originally suggested firewall because I don't know what else is common between IE and iTunes.

9. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

The fact that FF works, leads me to believe that iTunes has used IE interfaces to do their Internet stuff. They may depend on IE functioning, many applications do so.

10. stephenpen543

Thanks for all your help so far! but still no luck.
    I've uninstalled/reinstalled both my firewall and internet explorer but it's the same story!

I've also tried Windows Live Messenger - and that does work! What is up with my computer!

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    In Internet Options make sure there's nothing on the Security, Privacy and Connections tabs that restrict you. In particular in the 'LAN settings' off the Connections tab there should be nothing selected. I avoid IE except for Windows and Office updates, so I don't really know what are reasonable Security and Privacy settings.

12. rjones3

rjones3

Just wanted to share my recent, week-long ordeal with my PC which runs a Windows XP OS. I have used this computer to access the internet (AT&T DSL) for over a year without any problems. We also have two laptops which run Vista which connect to the same DSL thru a wireless connection. Well, the laptops had no problems connecting to the internet, but my PC for some reason starting having some problems maintaining a connection. If I re-booted my PC and immediately opened a browser, I had a good internet connection, but after a few minutes, the connection would "go cold." I tried releasing and renewing the IP address, closing the browser and re-opening it, tried other browsers, logged off and re-logged on, restarted the router...all without success. The only way to re-establish the connection would be to re-boot the computer and then the connection would work again for a few minutes.

Here are a few things I tried to remedy the problem:
    ran virus/spyware removal programs, ran registry mechanic, did the ping thing (it worked fine), released and renewed the IP address through the command prompt, deleted the drivers for my network card and rebooted so that the drivers would be updated, changed multiple settings on the browsers, network connections, system, etc.

Nothing helped. I called customer service with AT&T multiple times...no help. Was told that my network card might be bad...so I bypassed it by getting a wireless adapter that plugged into the USB..same problem!. I bought a new AT&T wireless router/modem combo and installed that...same problem! I backed up my entire hard drive in case I was faced with the worse case scenario. I slept on this problem and would wake every morning with a new approach...yes, I do solve problems in my sleep, and can typically awake with a new solution to an old problem.

Well, after many days of poor outcomes, talking to techs on the phone and "geeks" at Best Buy, I decided to get some rest to see what my brain would think up.

Well, I figured that there wasn't a real problem with the hardware, because I could get a great connection for a few minutes and the laptops had no problems connecting to the internet and maintaining the connection.

I eventually came up with a counter-intuitive solution to my problem. I kept reading on forums that it might be a firewall problem. Well, I didn't have any firewalls installed. Even better, I deleted any software that had been recently added. Guess what? Still no luck. O.K. I'm almost to the solution that worked for me.

I INSTALLED ZONE ALARM, because I figured that a system setting must be the problem. I couldn't find the precise setting, but I figured it was a "configuration" issue. Well, Zone Alarm FIXED my problem. I booted up and quickly went to download.com before I lost my connection. I downloaded Zone Alarm and installed it. All of a sudden, my connection began to work again (not fully until I went to the "firewall" section and changed both setting on the screen to "medium"...if it's set on "high" it continued to block my connection to the internet). I have checked multiple times now and the connection is working perfectly. I have seen many people write that they believe the firewall is preventing them from connecting. In my situation, I have found the opposite. The firewall (set to the proper security level..medium) allowed me to once again access and maintain my connection. I'm not sure what the program changed, but I know this problem is a pain the rear, and I hope the my experience might help others solve their connection problem.

Give it a try and see what happens. If it doesn't work, you can always just delete the program. Would love to hear other people's experience after reading and trying this!

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/645590

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice