1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannot connect to WiFi on Windows Vista

Discussion in 'Networking' started by star_girl_k, Apr 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. star_girl_k

star_girl_k Thread Starter

Hi,

I am trying to connect to WiFi on an old laptop of mine but every time I try to, I can’t enter the full password. My password is 10 characters long and the ‘PIN’ entry only allows upto 8 characters to be entered. Any ideas?

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

Maybe the PIN field scrolls sideways and you can actually fit in a 10 character key.

3. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Workaround: temporarily change the WIFI pin on the device you are trying to connect to from 10 characters to 8.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What's the brand and model of the wireless adapter?

What encryption (WPA, WPA2, WEP) are you using on the router or wireless access point?

5. star_girl_k

How do I find this out?

6. star_girl_k

How do you mean?

7. lunarlander

lunarlander

Like maybe you can type more than 8 characters into it, and it "slides/scrolls" to the right as you type.

8. star_girl_k

I have tried to type in the full password but it just makes a pinging noise and won’t allow any more than 8 characters to be input

9. lunarlander

lunarlander

I found it. Apparently your laptop is asking for a WPS pin, which is 8 digits.

Is there another place for you to enter a WEP pin on your laptop which would be 10 digits? What version of Windows is it running (xp, vista, win7)

Or can you go to your router and see if it still supports WPS and get that 8 digit pin?

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
  10. star_girl_k

I’m not sure if there is another place for me to enter the password but I’m hoping there is a way around it

It’s Windows Vista

11. lunarlander

lunarlander

12. star_girl_k

13. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    The only thing I've ever done with WPS is to disable it on one of my routers. Can you disable it on the router (and on the adapter???)? Or enter the pin on the computer, since it seems to be asking for that?

I guess that you would find the pin either on a sticker on the router and/or in the router settings.

I've dropped my earlier inquiries because I think that lunarlander found the right path (WPS).

14. star_girl_k

I’m not sure how to disable the WPS. I have tried entering the pin as well as the password and it won’t accept either of them

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
  15. lunarlander

lunarlander

Name and model of your router please. Let's see how we can disable WPS (wifi protected setup) and hopefully Vista will recognize that and revert to asking for a 10 digit pin.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1225759

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice