1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannot Connect to Windows MCE with Remote Desktop

Discussion in 'Networking' started by footbal9584, Jan 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. footbal9584

footbal9584 Thread Starter

Ok here is my dilemma, everything was working great, but then for some unknown reason it just stopped working. Right now I have my Dv6648se laptop connected via wifi, my DV1340us laptop connected via ethernet and a1530n desktop connected via Ethernet through a switch. All through a Linksys WRT54G Router. I am able to connect from my vista laptop to my XP Pro Laptop and I am able to connect my XP MCE Desktop to my XP Pro laptop. But I am unable to connect from either laptop to my desktop, I am also not able to ping the desktop from the laptops, (it says request timeout, or when I type in the name it says Ping request could not find host desktop (which is it's name)). Ive restarted everything, including my router and my switch. The router is set up via DHCP, and all the computers are able to connect to the internet. So basically my problem is I cannot connect to my desktop and it is not seen by my other computers, yet it can connect and see my laptops.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks

Mike

2. McAvelli

McAvelli

Disable your firewall for a moment and try to ping the "desktop" PC.

3. footbal9584

Yes i tried that and it didnt work I was still unable to ping it. I have windows firewall on all comps and AVG free for my antivirus, if that helps
    Also these are all hp comps if that makes a difference

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

This is a firewall issue, you need to determine what firewall component is blocking the requests.

5. footbal9584

ok how do i do that, also im not sure if it matters, but I am able to access files and print through my desktop from my laptops

6. JohnWill

The fact that PING doesn't work clearly indicates that you have a firewall that blocks access. Did you try disabling all firewalls and see if that changes the symptoms?

7. footbal9584

ok I disabled the firewalls and I am able to ping the desktop, but i was still unable to connect via remote desktop. What will happen i i click connect it will attempt to for like a second and then the connect button becomes active again, i dont get an error message or anything

8. footbal9584

ok so i reenabled the fire walls and tried pinging my desktop again and this time it worked with both the name and the ip address.

9. JohnWill

What is the exact error you get for RDT with the firewalls disabled? What is the version of Windows you're trying to connect to? Note that XP-Home doesn't have RDT capability.

10. footbal9584

it doesnt say anything when i click connect it will disable the connect button like it was trying to connect then it will make the connect button active again and not show anything. My desktop has Windows XP MCE sp3, my one laptop have Windows PRO sp2 and my other has Vista Home Premium sp1 it was working i was able to connect to it but then it stopped i cannot remember exactly but i think it might have stopped working when SP3 was installed.

11. footbal9584

Ok so i think i got it I set up a static Ip on my desktop and its working fine now. What Gives? This is more annoying than anything :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:. I prefer it to remain DHCP, but I guess ill have to leave it static. Do you guys have any ideas? Thanks

12. JohnWill

Well, if you have dynamic IP addresses, and they change, the port forwarding in the router will cease to work for the RDT, since it will be forwarded to the wrong IP address.

I don't think your router supports DHCP reservations, but you could consider DD-WRT 3rd party firmware which does support the feature. This allows you to lock a MAC address to an IP address in the DHCP server. You get to keep dynamic addressing, but you can count on port forwarding working too. :)

13. footbal9584

but how come i dont need port forwarding to connect to my other laptop? it is connected straight to the router could the switch be the problem my desktop is connected through that, but my laptop isn't

14. JohnWill

The switch is transparent in the process and won't affect the conversation in any way. Without evaluating all of the specific configurations, it's hard to say why one randomly works. Since that's pretty difficult, I try to present solutions that will work under any circumstances.

15. footbal9584

yes thanks for the help I'm gonna restore all my systems soon so hopefully that will get everything in perfect working order again.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/792291

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice