1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannot connect to wireless network using Belkin F5D7000 card and Netgear N300 router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by MatthewMason, Jun 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MatthewMason

MatthewMason Thread Starter

Hi guys

Have often browsed this fount of knowledge without actually posting but now I am stumped and really need help...

I have recently moved house and had new broadband installed complete with new Netgear N300 router. Now I am unable to connect to the internet even though my desktop says it can see the wireless network (though it does say it is unidentified). The network connection diagram in Vista suggests the problem is between the internet and the router but I know this is not the case as I have successfully connected other devices via the wireless network. I know the router is N and the card is G but the router should still work with the older card, right?

I have tried to download the latest drivers from Belkin for a version 8 F5D7000 but for some reason they wont install (when I click on the install file it thinks for a second then does nothing). No idea why this is the case.

Could it be anything to do with the fact that the card, being older, is WEP and my router has no option for WEP, only WPA onwards? If so, would the latest driver from Belkin in effect 'upgrade' my card to allow it to carry same encryption as the router?

If I can't solve then I'll no doubt end up buying a new PCI card but I didn't want to have to bother right at this moment.

Any help would be fantastic!

Cheers

Matt

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Well, clearly the first step is to upgrade the drivers to the latest available and see if that helps.

I'd like to see this as well from that machine.

Download and run this Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector, click the Networks link on the upper left and paste a screen shot of that screen here. Note that this application requires NET Framework to run. If you get an error about a missing function, download and install NET Framework.

To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file. To upload it to the forum, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.

3. MatthewMason

Hi John

Many thanks for your response.

I am at work currently but will get on the case when I get home in about 4 hours.

However - one spanner in the works may be the point I raised earlier that when I download the latest driver for my wireless card it doesn't install. It just thinks for a couple of seconds then does nothing. However, I have downloaded the same file to my girlfriend's laptop and it will open. I don't know whether I have some kind of registry bug or something like a broken file extension problem but other exe files and so on will open on my PC.

I've got the driver from here:
    http://en-us-support.belkin.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/303/p/294

It's the bottom option
    F5D7000 - Driver - Version 8xxx

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Do you have other issues with the same machine? Perhaps totally uninstalling the adapter, then removing it from the machine are rebooting might clear it's mind.

5. MatthewMason

There are a couple of glitches here and there which a very mediocre PC user such as me hasn't got round to tweaking but essentially apart from the wireless network problem and the driver not installing it's fine.

I did think about uninstalling the adapater, however, like a tool I've gone and lost the installation disc. So the problem being if I uninstall on the reliance that I will be able to use the online drivers and I can't find a way to get the install file to work, as is the case now, I'm done for.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Surely any wireless adapter/driver for Vista will support WPA (but not necessarily WPA2). Usually these will connect OK to a WPA/WPA2 mixed network, but sometimes not. Regardless, whenever you are having trouble connecting by wireless try w/o encryption to remove that variable.

You now cannot connect to your wireless network. If you lose the ability to install your wireless adapter you will not be able to connect to your wireless network. Is the second condition really worse than the first? :)

7. MatthewMason

Very valid point Terry. I will firstly disable all encryption when I get home and see if this allows me to connect. If it does, what would be the next step to allow me to connect with encryption?

I will also try reinstalling the card as you have both suggested.

8. MatthewMason

Ok so turning off all encryption allows me to connect wirelessly...

9. MatthewMason

Ok so here are the screen shots from Xirus.

Firstly with no encryption, then with encryption selected on both Windows wireless client and router (WPA personal (TKIP). They look the same to me. I've also attached a shot of ipconfig when I try to connect with encryption. Nothing doing.

Attached Files:

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    My best guess is that it's the wireless driver. Your adapter is version 8, right? It couldn't be v3 or v6 with the label smeared a little and looking like an 8?

Could also be the router; make sure you have the latest firmware for it. If you update the firmware then reset the router to factory default settings and reconfigure it.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/928504

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice