1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannot Connect to Wireless Network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by bmxgj, Jun 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bmxgj

bmxgj Thread Starter

I have a signal. I removed the network key, so there is no password. I send packets but do not receive them. When I try to connect I get something like "cannot aquire a network address"

help would be great

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    "help would be great". Well, information from you would be pretty good too! :)

I assume the signal is from your router; does it assign IP addresses (DHCP server enabled)? Are you using MAC address filtering? Do you have another PC that is getting an IP from the router?

Do you detect other signals, and are you SURE that you are connecting to yours rather than somebody else's?

Your OS? Your wireless adaptor? Are you using the adaptor's utility or WZC to manage it?

3. bmxgj

bmxgj Thread Starter

Yes there is another computer connected to the router that works. I'm using XP and i believe it is an Intel wireless card. im using the view available networks in the bottom right hand corner to manage it.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    bmxgj, I can think of several possibilities for "cannot acquire a network address." These include:

a. the router does not assign IP addresses;
    b. the router only accepts certain MAC addresses;
    c. the signal is encrypted, but the key or pass phrase used with the adaptor is not the same as that used with the router;
    d. the adaptor is actually latching onto a different signal than yours;
    e. interference from 2.4Ghz cordless phone, microwave, etc., etc.;
    f. not using the latest drivers for your adaptor.

The questions I asked in my previous post should help eliminate some of these possibilities or maybe even isolate to the cause. If you need help in finding some of the answers, please ask.

P.S. - I suggest you check your computer manufacturer's website to see if you have the latest driver and utility for your adaptor. I prefer using the adaptor's utility, but admit that others prefer WZC.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/373187

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice