1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannot Connect To Wireless Network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by KyleB5, Nov 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. KyleB5

KyleB5 Thread Starter

Hello, new here so i wasnt 100% sure where to post this. But ill get right to the point. I have been using the internet just fine for months up until a few days ago so nothing new was bought or installed (sp3 was installed a week or so ago). Heres how we have the network setup. Its WEP secured, i have the correct key and have entered it right multiple times.

My roomate runs the wireless router from his computer, and everything has been connecting fine (their pc's, xbox's, my xbox) except my PC it seems recently wont connect. It sees it when i search for wireless networks, and when i click connect, enter the wep key, it searches for a minute then stop and doesnt connect, no error message or anything. I am able to connect to other networks in range, like the one im using now (not something i want to do, because its slow and not safe). I have a LinksysWMP300N wireless card connecting to a Linksys wireles router, i forget the model but i can check later. And help?

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Disable encryption on the router and try to connect. Assuming success you can then re-enable encryption and reconnect.

3. KyleB5

KyleB5 Thread Starter

how do i do that? go into the router access page? the 198.etc.etc? and if so i somehow disable it, try connecting through my computer, if it works, disconnect, renable the encryption, then reconnect through my comp?

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Consult the router's user manual for specifics. If you don't have the manual on CD you can download it from Linksys's web site.

5. KyleB5

KyleB5 Thread Starter

ok well now its working for some reason, id appreciate if this could be left open for a couple days incase it goes back out. thanks for the assistance though.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Good. If it works for a few days you can mark this "Solved" using the button at the upper left of your first post.

7. KyleB5

KyleB5 Thread Starter

alright it happened again. i will try what u mentioned earlier but is there anything else that would cause this? it might reconnect again in a couple days but i dont get it.

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Wireless interference; e.g., from another wireless network or 2.4 GHz cordless phone.

Multiple wireless utilities running; e.g., XP's WZC and one named after your wireless adapter or PC manufacturer.

ZoneAlarm or some other non-Windows firewall getting temperamental (especially after SP3 installed).

9. KyleB5

KyleB5 Thread Starter

well disabling the encryption didnt work. i dont have a cordless phone in here, and the other networks in the area are pretty weak signal so i doubt theyd be interfering. i dont have zonealarm or any firewalls besides windows' running. i am using windows to configure my wireless adapter.

10. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If you're seeing them, they can be interfering.

11. KyleB5

KyleB5 Thread Starter

well what else can i do?

12. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Change channels or increase your own wireless signal strength to compete.

Hawking Tech has a number of products that will help you increase your wireless range. The root page is Hawking Hi-Gain™ WiFi Range Extending Products.

Some of the more interesting products are this Hawking [HSB2] Hi-Gain WiFi Signal Booster, which can be used on either end of a wireless connection to boost the signal power.

Another way to increase your signal strength is by the use of hi-gain antennas. You can choose from omni-directional or directional models, here are a some examples.

Hawking [HAI7SIP] Hi-Gain 7dBi Omni-Directional Antenna

Hawking [HAI15SC] Hi-Gain 15dBi Corner Antenna

[HAO14SD] Outdoor Hi-Gain 14dBi Directional Antenna Kit

This is just a sample of available products, many people have hi-gain antennas with similar specifications, but I haven't seen any other suppliers of signal boosters.

13. KyleB5

KyleB5 Thread Starter

i dont think a signal booster is needed, the router is about 1 floor down and 10 feet over. i have been connecting to the router for months with excellent strength and this just suddenly happened.

14. KyleB5

KyleB5 Thread Starter

ok i got it goin. i tried turning off the encryption and disabled the mac filter. after connecting i turned them back on and tried to connect again but couldnt. i turned off the mac filter and was able to connect while leaving on the encryption. whats your take on this and is it ok to leave it off?

15. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    MAC Address filtering makes your network more difficult to use. There is no reason to use it.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/767555

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice