1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannot connect to wireless network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by mitch208, Jul 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mitch208

mitch208 Thread Starter

Ive never had this problem before and my laptop is only 1 year old. Just a few days ago I switched it on, tried to connect to available wireless networks with good signal strength and got the message 'Windows cannot connect to (network name)'. After diagnosing the problem I recieved the message 'Windows is not set to automatically connect to (network name). I tried again and got another message saying 'Windows cannot find any wireless networks in range of this computer'. I tried again and again and kept getting those two messages. I restarted my laptop a couple of times but still got the same messages. I then tried to restore to a couple of days earlier and got another message 'System restore did not complete successfully. Your computers system files and settings were not changed. Details: An unspecified error occured during system restore'. I tried this many times with different restore points but still got the same message. Ive scanned for viruses and it appears all clean. If anyone could provide me with any help I would greatly appreciate it. My laptop is an LG P300 and im running windows vista business service pack 2 .
    Cheers

2. lawson_jl

lawson_jl

Is this your wireless network or are you trying to jump on someone elses?

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Reset your router to factory default settings and reconfigure it. Try to connect first with encryption disabled.

4. mitch208

mitch208 Thread Starter

Hi lawson
    Im traveling atm so its any wireless network that I try to connect to. As soon as i click connect straight away it says it was unable to connect as if it doesnt even try.

5. JPCompHelp

JPCompHelp

You can't connect to a network that's outside of your range.

6. mitch208

mitch208 Thread Starter

Hi Terry,
    Im not too good with computer language could you simplify that. Thanks heaps

7. mitch208

mitch208 Thread Starter

Im traveling atm and every place we stay I just cant connect to. I just keep getting the same messages. Any sugestions? Cheers for the reply.

8. JPCompHelp

JPCompHelp

You may just have bad luck with finding good signal. If the place you're staying at offers wireless Internet, ask the owner about it.

9. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

First off, what signal strength is the network you're trying to connect to? Did you remove any stored wireless profiles and enter any required network key for the network in question?

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Forget what I said--at least until you get home and have problems connecting to your own wireless router.

Make sure you have the latest driver for your wireless adapter. If the adapter is integrated the driver should be from your PC manufacturer's web site.

11. mitch208

mitch208 Thread Starter

All the networks I've been trying to connect to have a strong signal and I havent played around with any settings. Just woke up one morning and it wouldnt connect anywhere. Cheers

12. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If your wireless was working fine at one time you can try a System Restore to just before the trouble started.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/846084

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice