1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannot connect to XP home via Windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by squeezin, Apr 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. squeezin

squeezin Thread Starter

So, im trying to connect to a asus netbook with XP home on it, via a Windows 7 ultimate machine.

However, I have no problems connecting to the Win 7 machine from the asus.
    I use run: \\acrylic\c$ ....no problem.
    But if i do that from the win 7 machine ... \\asus\c$ ....or anything for that matter, and i get prompted with the windows security network logon window. Which you would think, great all i have to do is enter the credentials. Nope.

For whatever reason it keeps pushing the "acrylic" domain...and never lets me change it to asus.
    Pic attached.

I also tried killing the firewall on both machines with no luck.

Any ideas.

Thanks for reading

Attached Files:

2. Bernardo

Bernardo

Are you using the user name for the Windows 7 machine? Not the user name you may have on the other machine.

3. antech

antech Banned

He means that you must use the "User Name" on Win 7 machine and NOT the account name of XP pc.
    Go to "My Network Places"--->Add Network Place->next->next->set the domain,pc name etc and make sure that the "turn on file and printer sharing is selected".
    Complete the wizard.

4. RKramden

RKramden

one silly thing to check...are you on a homegroup with the win7 platform? Make sure the workgroups are the EXACT same for both machines

5. Bernardo

Bernardo

Almost feels like we're talking to ourselves here :eek:

6. Lance1

Lance1

It's only been two days; give the guy a chance to respond.

7. hi-tech

hi-tech

All you need to do is type "asus\<username>" instead of just the username in the logon window to change the domain to "asus" and logon...(y)

8. squeezin

squeezin Thread Starter

Sorry for the delay guys....got asked, AKA, "told" that i had to work overtime and also work a day that i usually have off...been dragging the last few days...

Anyways, the user name on both machines is the same on both machines.
    I always use the same username on my machines, and the same password for that matter.

I also, dual booted the the asus netbook that had XP on it, with windows 7 ultimate....hoping that would shed some light.....nope.

Ive tried everything possible with no luck....with the asus netbook (the one i can never connect to) with both XP and win 7.
    They are both in the workgroup, workgroup.
    Ive left and joined the homegroup numerous times ( didnt really matter before since the one PC was running XP).
    Ive blasted away my acrylic nic card and drivers, and reinstalled just for the heck of it.
    Double checked services.
    Disabled AV on both machines.
    Tried with and without windows firewall.

Also, when i use the "network map" in the network and sharing center.
    I cannot get a map on either computer for some reason.
    On the acrylic PC i get " A error happened during the mapping process"
    On the asus netbook i get the same error....[what the heck]. I know i used the map feature on both machines not that long ago...

Its got to be something on the "acrylic" PC, and not my asus netbook...

Im going to try to go back to the very first backup images i created for both computers when i did a clean install on em....only a few weeks old.

I dunno...*bashing head against desk*

Anymore ideas all?

Oh and thanks for the suggestions guys, and ill try to keep up on the thread every night (this issue is really bother me now that it still dont work with the netbook dual booted...)

BAH HUMBUG!

9. Bernardo

Bernardo

Almost has to be a firewall sharing issue......

10. RKramden

RKramden

Another dumb idea but one of those worth a shot. I have several computers on my home network, when I connected to my laptop from the desktop (both running win7) I had to enter the username & password for the laptop (different in my case from the desktop) and was able to connect. The thing I'm curious about is, do you have any shared folders on the netbook? If not, I don't think you would see anything as being on the network.

11. Bernardo

Bernardo

I believe, as long as it's on the same network name, you'd see the default sharing....as long as file and print sharing are enabled.

12. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    squeezin, please watch your language. I had to edit your post # 8.

RKramden, please bring your signature into compliance (3 line max.).

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/918184

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice