Solved Cannot connect via ethernet

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

AmberCamilia

Hello. I work from home. For two weeks, I’ve been unable to connect my laptop to my internet via Ethernet. I called my internet guy out and he checked my router and cables, all was well. His computer connected perfectly. My work laptop will connect to wifi, but not to wired internet. I took my work laptop to the IT guys for my job and they couldn’t find anything wrong with it and it connected fine for them. I’ve tried different cables, different ports, I’m not sure what to do. Since it’s a work laptop, I don’t have access to any administrative settings. Thank you.

Gr3iz

Mark
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Hello and welcome to TSG!!

Is there a particular reason you do not want to use WiFi?

AmberCamilia

Hello and welcome to TSG!!

Is there a particular reason you do not want to use WiFi?
My work only allows me to use a wired connection. While I can connect to wifi, I’m not able to access any internet programs while on wireless internet.

Gr3iz

Mark
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Hmmmm. Usually companies will provide VPN software to allow access to the corporate network while working outside of the office. Is this a work provided laptop?

AmberCamilia

Hmmmm. Usually companies will provide VPN software to allow access to the corporate network while working outside of the office. Is this a work provided laptop?
It is. And I believe there is a VPN software, but I’m not able to login to it without being connected to wired internet.

Gr3iz

Mark
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
If you can connect other computers to a wired connection on your router, it sounds like you need to get your IT folks involved again. I know we didn't like outsiders working on our systems without our knowledge and blessing when I was in IT.

Couriant

James
I think you would need to have them connect with you when you connect via your wireless so that way they can check your Ethernet connection when you connect the wire. it sounds like the computer is not getting an IP from the router.

AmberCamilia

Thanks everyone! Turns out there was some strange problem with my router blocking connection to the work laptop.

Gr3iz

Mark
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Glad you got it sorted out!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online