1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannot Connect via VPN

Discussion in 'Networking' started by bradacus, Oct 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bradacus

bradacus Thread Starter

Hey all,

For some reason there is one PC on a network that I cannot VPN to no matter what. It works fine on wired lan but not over VPN.

What things can I check to acquire access to this PC? What TCP/IP settings need to be enabled?

I am not using a firewall on the PC that I am trying to connect to. It is behind a Juniper SSG140 VPN Firewall.

Any tips you have, even if they seem minimal and insignificant may help.

Thanks!!!

ps. I have tried to VPN from over three machines, and this one PC is not accessible from all three. It is something on the PC itself...just can't figure out what it might be. Or where to start troubleshooting for that matter.

2. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

From where are you trying to VPN? Are you trying to VPN into the Juniper Firewall then trying to access this particular PC? Are you trying to establish a VPN tunnel directly to this particular PC?

3. bradacus

bradacus Thread Starter

I am using to the VPN into the firewall.

What settings on the host PC need to be set? (the one I am trying to connect to)
    (ie. remote desktop, remote assistance... etc)

4. zx10guy

Since you're using the firewall as your VPN server, you need to make sure the one PC you cannot reach has a route or default gateway set to the internal IP of the Juniper firewall. Remote VPN clients will typically be assigned an IP configured in a pool of addresses for the VPN connection. Many network admins will use a different internal IP pool to differentiate device on the network from each other. I know I do this to make keep track of remote and local devices plus to aid in easy reviews of logs.

5. bradacus

bradacus Thread Starter

You were right on the money with the gateway being incorrect!

Thanks a ton z!

6. zx10guy

Glad I could help.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/757415

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice