1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannot connect wifi with two computers at same time

Discussion in 'Networking' started by fonangel, Jun 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fonangel

fonangel Thread Starter

I've been doing research on this for a while and cannot figure this out. My husband and I both use Dell Inspiron laptops, both different models. His runs on Windows 7 and mine is on windows 8. It doesn't seem to matter what network we are on as we have traveled together with these laptops, and we have troubles maintaining wifi connection with both laptops on the same network. When his connects to the network, mine looses connection and cannot connect. when his is not connected, then my connection is fine. it is only the windows 8 laptop that has connection problems though. HIs never loses connections. I have tried to release my IP address and renew it with no luck. I have re-configured the router for our home network recently, renamed it, set up the security again. And I did this using the windows 8 laptop. Yet the problem still continues. As I said this problem occurs on more than just this network. And through additional testing, we have discovered that his laptop needs to only be in the same vicinity, it doesn't need to even be connected to the network for me to experience problems. Any help is welcome. because honestly, it's becoming a problem for more than just the internet connect lately....:(

2. jhayz

jhayz

Hi fonangel, please post the router(s) model next time. Have you tried updating the wifi drivers on manufacturing support site? Might also look into resetting the router and redo the router configurations again then clear network profiles and manually connecting again to see of any improvements.

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Please show the following for both PCs when having the problem.

Please attach a screen shot of the Networks page (don't collapse the Radar, Connection or Signal History) of the Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector. If you don't have a satisfactory email address (e.g., from your ISP) you could try http://www.pcworld.com/article/231780/xirrus_wifi_inspector.html. If you need help with a screen shot see TSG Posting a Screenshot. FWIW to take screen shots with Windows 8 or 7 or Vista I prefer to use the built-in Snipping Tool.

Also show ...

Open a (black) Command Prompt window:
    Hold the Windows logo key and press r; in the Run box type cmd and click on OK.

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

[Press ENTER after each command.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1127643

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice