Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cannot connect XP laptop to home WiFi

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  etaf 
#1 ·
Hi, I need to please ask that you be patient with me as I have an extremely limited knowledge of computers or laptops, so I am actually struggling to even word this question correctly! I have an HP G60 laptop with Windows XP.

I had WiFi installed at my university digs, and I believe I am the main laptop through which the internet connection runs. My parents have recently had a WiFi (Netgear router) installed on their home computer , but I am unable to connect to the internet through my laptop. i was told that as my laptop IP address was set to my university WiFi connection, all i had to do was reset my laptop's IP address and I would be able to connect to my parents WiFi.. However I am really unsure of how to do this, and am also concerned that if I do so I will be unable to connect my Uni WiFi once I return! Or even if this in indeed the problem!

Any advice on this matter would be greatly appreciated! Thank you! :(:confused:

#2 ·
welcome to tsg

would you do the following
------------------------------------------------------------------------
{ipconfig /all}
If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to paste the results into something like notepad and then copy onto a machine that can access the internet and post results here
We would like to see the results from ipconfig /all post back the results here
-> Start
-> (XP - enter the following in the RUN box)
cmd /k ipconfig /all
-> (Vista or Windows 7 - enter the following in the Search box)
cmd /k ipconfig /all

A black box will appear on the screen -
rightclick in the box
select all
enter
control key + C key - to copy

then reply here and
control key + V to paste
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.