cannot connect

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

j neu

Friend asked me to look at his computer as he could not connect. He gets a a cannot load remote access connection manager service error 997 I/O operation is in progress
In his control panel networking he now has a connection he doesn't know where it came from. It is for lan or high speed internet which he doesn't have. It was called local area conn 2. It was disabled and cannot delete it. His dial up connection was also in there but cant connect with it. He is Not on a network. I brought a disk and ran spybot adaware cwshredder and hijack this and found tons of problems and cleaned them. His home page is also hijacked and we removed a bunch of 4 counter entries. Avg finds nothing but the update page wasn't working and he is out dated. I can fix that if I can get back on.
Do you think a sfc /scannow repair would help us get back on line. Would like to run an online virus scan. Are his network connections messed up. I still think there is more lurking inside.
Should have printed a hijack this log and pasted. Will do this tonight when I stop back. Any ideas to try before a complete wipe out.
Thanks for any help.

j neu

Opps forgot
Win xp home
Local dial up
We uninstalled and tried to reinstall his dial up connection.
When we get to connect using dial up modem it is greyed out and the only option is connect using broadband.

Just let us see the HijackThis log and we can assist.
No need to reformat.

Best to post in the security forum.
;)

j neu

Ok will go back and print a hijack this tonight as we both have to work. It was getting late and I thoght of it on the way home. Im sure there is more in there as I only removed the ones I was sure of. Thanks will get back.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online