1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannot convert Basic disk to Dynamic disk

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by NozzaC, Jun 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. NozzaC

NozzaC Thread Starter

I have a 1TB drive with a 50GB system and boot partition and the rest as data storage. I want to convert it to a Dynamic disk. However when try I get the error ""there is not enough space available on the disk(s) to complete this operation"

On the system partition there is 10GB free and on the data one about 350GB.

2. Jonathan_King

Jonathan_King

First, try moving some stuff from the OS partition to the data partition, maybe 5-10GB if you can.

You can also try shrinking the data partition by about 20GB, and leave that as unallocated space at the end.

3. NozzaC

NozzaC Thread Starter

Why? Can you point me to any documentation referring to a certain % of free space or unallocated space being required in order to convert to dynamic disks?

4. Jonathan_King

Jonathan_King

Sorry, I can't. It's just trial-and-error.

5. NozzaC

NozzaC Thread Starter

Thanks for the thought but I don't think it can really be about space on the disk. I've converted to dynamic before on a disk because it was so full and I wanted to implement spanning with no problems. I can't find anything in the MS docs that points to it either. The only references to this error about about having too many partitions so I'm wondering if somehow the partition info is corrupted or something.

6. Jonathan_King

Jonathan_King

You could try a disk defragment. Perhaps that will "free up" some space.

7. NozzaC

NozzaC Thread Starter

I've solved it now. Clearly something was corrupted. I cloned the drive to another drive, deleted the 2 volumes, recreated them, cloned it back so it looked exactly as before. Then it converted normally.

8. Jonathan_King

Jonathan_King

Great, thanks for reporting your solution. Glad it's working for you now.

9. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

You have to have at least 1 MB of unallocated space at the end of the disk to create the database for the dynamic disk. If Windows created the partition(s) it does this automatically, and this unallocated space is not shown in Disk Management with Windows 7. Win2K and early versions of XP will show this space, typically 7-8 MB. I think MS decided to hide it so people would stop asking why that space couldn't be included in a partition.
    If you created or resized the partitions using a 3rd party tool, this space may have been allocated, which will prevent converting to Dynamic.

Not Enough Space Available to Upgrade to a Dynamic Disk

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/930007

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice