1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannot copy an .mdf to external harddrive..

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sirbaboon, Feb 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sirbaboon

sirbaboon Thread Starter

I've got 271gb free space on my external hard drive but when I try and copy a 4.82gb .mdf file onto the hard drive it comes up with the message "Cannot Copy: There is not enough free disk space. Delete one or more files to free disk space, and then try again." And then it offers me Disk Cleanup... Any ideas how to sort this out?

Computer:
    Windows XP SP3 Home Edition
    Intel(R)
    Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz
    504MB RAM

External hard drive:

500 GB formatted capacity
    7200 RPM rotational speed
    16 MB buffer size
    USB 2.0 interface

2. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Is the external drive formatted NTFS? If not it has a 4gb file limit size and 4.82 well exceeds that.

3. Zygmo

Zygmo

I agree with Stumped, however, something else in Sirba's post bothers me. Do you really only have 504 MB RAM? And how did it come up with the number 504? Can't see how a computer would see that exact number. A computer with the specs of yours surely needs much more RAM.

4. sirbaboon

sirbaboon Thread Starter

Not sure if it's formatted NTFS.. And yeah, comp specs only says 504mb.
    Let's say, it's not formatted NTFS, anyway to get that file copied or is it just not gonna happen?

5. Zygmo

Zygmo

Sirba. I am assuming your file is some sort of DVD image. Can you not either open the image, and then save the individual parts, or something like that? Or will the program that made the mdf. (Magic ISO Maker?) span the file across two or more discs, to save it that way?

6. Zygmo

Zygmo

Sirba. By the way, I think you can extract mdf. files with Winrar, if that helps. You can get Winrar off the net.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/804545

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice