1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannot Copy File during Setup

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Startreker, Jan 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Startreker

Startreker Thread Starter

Hi there.

I reecently installed Vista on my computer to try it out and after a few weeks wanted to change back to XP Pro as has some things i did not like.

Here's what i did:

1. I booted into BIOS and changed the bootup to cd/dvd.
    2. Booted with my Original CP PRO cd (Not bought with my computer bought after).
    3. followed the instructions and deleted the partition on C and formatted (Full not Quick) the C: drive with NTFS.

It gets to the stage that the SETUP is copying files and after 43% and says it cannot copy file WOWEB.exe and to press Esc to skip, F3 to QUIT and ENTER to try again.

It does this with a whole lot of files (Over 30) then after skipping thise files it reboots and gets the BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH!!!.

I have 2 DVD drives and tried both with the same result. I tried a differant Windows XP disk with the same results.

The motherboard has a backup facility which i had backed up previously with XP but not fully and can restore to that point but i want a complete reinstall.

I have formatted and installed windows XP with that disc loads of times without any problems before.

Can anyone help please?

2. Rich-M

Rich-M

Well you seem to have covered the primary issues which are bad XP cd, and bad cd drive. The others are mismatched ram (have you added any) or declining hard drive are what is left.

3. Startreker

Rich-M

I have not changed the RAM at all in the past year or so.

The cd does have some scratches on it but another CD i downloaded from the net looks fine and worked before. ( I have an original KEY for XP)

The drives are working at the moment for any disk i have put in them.

the HD was the original disk that i got in with the computer.

4. Rich-M

Rich-M

Cd you downloaded from the internet???? No I don't think so and the online with the scratches you say you have used so many times...no again the cd has to be the problem then though hard drive being older also could still be it as well.

5. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

i vote for the cd.

6. Startreker

Is there a way that i can make a backup of my XP cd and try that one sice i have a genuine key then that would that be ok?

7. Rich-M

Rich-M

8. Startreker

I bought this CD from a person on EBAY which (Does not say OEM on the email or disk).

I still have the emails that i used when i bought this. Can this be used as proof of purchase?

Since it is an ebay buy then i think it will probably not be.

I bought this in August 2005.

9. Rich-M

Rich-M

If it is a Ms cd it doesn't matter as they don't say "oem" on disk anyway but the model number tells them that and it is as replaceable and any other Ms disk. I have done that with eBay and faxed them the copy of the eBay sales receipt and while in both instances they balked a little, I simply explained to them it is a place to buy the same as any other and the sent me replacement cd's after a bit of "discussion". I had the a similar "discussion" with Amd one time and they came through as well replacing a cpu. I mean afterall that is a retail experience and vendors need to be reminded of that and they accept it in the end!

10. Startreker

Rich-M Thanks.

Was going to to that but realised that i do not have a COA just a disk with a Key that was Printed by the seller on EBAY.

I have gone to the following link below to validate my copy of windows and it says:

Thank you for validating your copy of Microsoft Windows.

"Thank you for using the Windows Genuine Advantage program. You may now access resources for genuine Windows users."

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/default.aspx?displaylang=en

Maybe i will have a look and buy another one (With a key and COA).

The disk is a Bronze one that has a hologram on the top right and says "For distribution with a new PC." Also it is an OEM anyway.

11. Rich-M

Rich-M

OK got it!

12. Startreker

Would you think it wise again to buy xp from Ebay again and can your suggest another site that i could get XP Cheaper as i cannot afford the likes of £200 odd for the full retail price.

13. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

you take your chances on ebay. some happy campers and some horror stories.

14. Startreker

Cheers bearbone2

I just hope that it is the disk and not the DVD drives or Hard Disk..

I know the memory is ok as i used a memory program that booted from the CD and tested the momory overnight with no errors.

15. Startreker

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/676286

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice