1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannot copy files, etc

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by spazmojack, Jun 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. spazmojack

spazmojack Thread Starter

Hello,

I recently woke up and found that my computer (newer Dell XPS 410, windows XP media center) was displaying the "blue screen." The blue screen appeared almost immediately after each the windows logo displayed upon each restart. It told me to run CHKDSK. I figured out how to boot from the CD and ran CHKDSK. After that, I was able to start Windows, but it is riddled with problems.

I haven't had much time to discover them all, but here are the main ones I found:

1) Internet Explorer will not open - when trying to open, the screen flashes but then - nothing.

2) Picture files will not open.

3) I cannot paste files - I am given the option to copy or cut, but they will not paste anywhere. I want this feature above all else so I can back up some files before I nuke the hard drive for a full reinstallation.

4) Word files open but I receive an error message saying something about not being able to register the files or something like that.

5) All virus software and firewalls were disabled upon bootup, and I can't enable them.

I am sure there are more, but if this rings any bells I would appreciate the help. I was running PC Cillin anti-virus and firewalls - the whole package, and I always kept it updated. Just in case that helps...

If I could get help with number 3 above all else, that would be great. Thanks to all who read this!

Andy

2. The Hound

The Hound

The full text of the 'blue screen' error message might be helpful-also the message about unregistered .dll files...

If your Antivirus has been disabled-and you didn't disable them-please post a hijackthis log:

Download Hijackthis here:

http://www.thespykiller.co.uk/files/HJTsetup.exe

Save HJTsetup.exe to your desktop.
    Double click on the HJTsetup.exe icon on your desktop.
    By default it will install to C:\Program Files\Hijack This.
    Continue to click Next in the setup dialogue boxes until you get to the Select Addition Tasks dialogue.
    Put a check by Create a desktop icon then click Next again.
    Continue to follow the rest of the prompts from there.
    At the final dialogue box click Finish and it will launch Hijack This.

Click on the Do a system scan and save a log file button. It will scan and then ask you to save the log.
    Click Save to save the log file and then the log will open in notepad.
    Click Edit > Select All> Edit > Copy to copy the entire contents of the log.
    Paste the log in your next reply.

DO NOT have Hijack This fix anything yet. Most of what it finds will be harmless or even required.

3. spazmojack

Thanks, The Hound -

I can't do most of what you asked - the blue screen issue is not present any longer and I ddn't think to copy the text down. I cannot paste files or access the internet, so I can't find a way to get the "hijack this" executable onto my desktop. I did copy the message that displays when I open a word file:

"This document could not be registered. It will not be possible to create links from other documents to this document."

I found that I can't open music or video files either, but PDFs open fine. Thanks for the help!

Andy

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Check one of those folders you are trying to paste into and make sure that it is not read-only.

If you have a CD-RW drive have you tried writing files to CD? This will probably suffer the same inability to paste.

If you have a CD (or DVD) burning application have you tried to burn files to a disk?

If you have a USB flash drive have you tried copying to it?

5. spazmojack

Thanks -

I tried moving to a USB flash drive with no luck. I can't even drag the files to another folder on the computer, and I checked them for "read only." I will try to burn to a CD. I found that some programs work, and that I could open a JPG in a photo editing program and save it with a different filename. I may have luck with CD burning. I'll report back after that attempt. Thanks!

Andy

6. The Hound

The Hound

Might be time to slave the drive in another box, take ownership of the files, and back them up-especially the photos that can't be replaced-

It's better to experiment on a drive that doesn't contain the only copies of your life's work...

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/586964

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice