1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannot copy ntuser.dat when using Files and Settings Transfer wizard

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Jeckler, Apr 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeckler

Jeckler Thread Starter

Dell Latitude C640, Windows XP, Sp1. There's plenty of space on the drive. The entire profile is about 5gb. Attempting to use the FSTW to move user data to new Dell D810.
    When the wizard is compressing files on the old machine, when it gets to ntuser.dat, it errors out and says it cannot be copied. Three choices; retry, abort, ignore. Obviously retry does nothing and abort quits the whole process.
    It seems that MS fix for this sort of error is to upgrade to Sp2. Seems silly to do that when the machine is going to be reimaged after this refresh..... plus there's always the chance of irrepairable damage.
    So that leaves ignore. Anyone think it's possible to simply ignore that file for now, let the wizard do its thing, hopefully with no other errors, do the resotre on the new machine and after the logout copy the ntuser.dat file from old to new? The new machine is running Sp2, and is on a domain (so is the old one, BTW).

2. cypher2

cypher2 Account Closed

would have thought you would be ok not to copy this file

I believe this file is a boot file which will already be on the new machine - dont quote me on that tho

3. Jeckler

Jeckler Thread Starter

ntuser.dat is specific to each user. It holds part of their registry.

It turns out that it couldn't copy all kinds of files, 18 total, mostly dat files. I was able to copy over the ntuser.dat and ntuser.dat.log files though, so everything seems to have worked there. After I logged back in and started Outlook, none of the PST files could be found. The wizard had not copied them over, even though they were in My Documents. Copied those manually and it seems to be OK.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!