1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannot Copy to CD - A Major Problem (For Me)

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by bobsedge, Jan 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bobsedge

bobsedge Thread Starter

Hi Group,

This seems like it would be a minor problem to remedy, but nothing I have tried works. It is actually a major problem for me. I'll make a long story short.

1. I have kept a Windows 98SE dedicated to running a DOS data base program, which has no later equivalent. This particular 98SE is not on line. This program, of course, is not fully operational in XP or later.

2. I have several books I have written buried in this data base and program, which I now need to transfer to disk to get them ready for a publisher.

3. I've had a Sony CD-RW CRX1611 installed for years, which seemed to work OK. It will accept my back-ups, using Stomp Backup, and it will read and install from a new program disk. I tried one last night to make sure.

4. But, when trying to copy or paste to disk I get a :

"D:\is not accessible. The device is not ready"

How can it work one direction and not the other? As an aside, I'm not sure I ever tried to copy to disk on this machine before now, other than through the Stomp Backup software.

I suspect this is an easy fix, but I can't figure it out. I went to the D: drive particulars and it seems to have generic drivers, but I am not an expert on those things.

One possible hint or lead to the problem - I had a hard drive crash a couple of years ago. A local repair shop put a new/used hard drive in and all has seemed to work since, although I had not tried to copy to disk before now. Fortunately, I had backed up all of the DOS program and its contents on Stomp Backup before the crash.

Please someone, have an answer! I've got over 20 years of information sitting in there ready to transfer to CDs.

Thanks much,

Bob J.

2. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

Windows 98 does not have copy/paste or drag and drop
    cd burning capability.
    You need to install burning software.
    You might try this........
    http://www.cdburnerxp.se/
    It should be compatable.
    You would need to run the program and select make a data cd.
    Drag the files to the window and burn them.
    Probably want to finalize the disk too once you have all the
    files dragged to the window.
    Check out the documentation on the site to get familiar with it.

3. bobsedge

bobsedge Thread Starter

Thank you.

You are absolutely correct. I had forgotten that one needs to install CD burning software for the 98SE. I looked at the link you provided, but ended up using the software which came with the CRX1611, which I had never installed. I did what you said after installation, and it seemed to work.

How do I replace an old data base file on my XP machine with the one I just copied from 98SE onto the CD? Once again it's likely easy, but I'm struggling. I can read the file I just copied, but can't seem to "install" it, overriding the existing file installed on the XP.

Thanks again.

4. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

What kind of database are you using to store books?
    Is it possible to extract the books from the database
    on the old computer in text format before transfering
    to CD?

5. bobsedge

bobsedge Thread Starter

Leroy,

Thank you for your follow-up.

It is a family history data base, run on Roots III, a DOS program of circa 1988 vintage.

Roots III will provide output in several book formats. Now that I have installed CD burning software (thank you again), I believe I can trigger a run on my 98SE, save that output to disk in that format, copy that output to a CD, put that CD information into a word processing program on my XP machine, then refine and make final editorial changes. At least that's what I think will work. It would sure be easier if XP or Vista were fully DOS compatible for dinasours like me!

I have about 50,000 people in the data base, together with their relevant facts, together with many thousands of text files I have created tied to those people, so have chosen not to convert to the latest and greatest genealogical software.

Thanks again,

Bob J.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/973814

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice