1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

cannot create new folder

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by tertiusvegas, Sep 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tertiusvegas

tertiusvegas Thread Starter

I just helped a friend install/upgrade from WinME to XP. All went well except for a couple of things. For some reason, rightclicking on the desktop does not bring up the usual dialog. Right clicking on a folder does not bring up the dialog to create a new folder. Left clicking on the "Create new folder" icon does nothing. In these cases, either nothing happens or the system goes back (after a moment) to a regular desktop. Therefore, there is no way to create a new folder via the usual methods.
    It seems like the right click isn't entirely working correctly. It also seems like there are certain functions that are not happy. So far, these are the only obvious errors. I kind of suspect the mouse as it doesn't seem to have the right drivers, but I can't find the correct drivers off of the web. However, the mouse worked fine with WinME prior to the upgrade.
    Is it possible that SP2 will correct this? I also noticed a thread in the microsoft knowledge base that refers to a similar problem in Win2000 due to a certain kind of chipset. Any ideas or courses of action would be greatly appreciated.
    P.S. - Friend's computer is in Colorado - I am in Las Vegas helping long distance.
    Thanks

2. mimo2005

mimo2005

(y)
    Remember, always back up your registry. To see if it (New) exist in the registry go to start>run>type regedit>ok>HKEY_CLASS_ROOT\Directory\Background\Shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\New
    If New is missing right click on the ContextMenuHandler folder>new>key>name it new.Then right click on the New folder you created>right click default>type this line in {D969A300-E7FF-11d0-A93B-00A0C90F2719}>ok. Restart the computer.
    Read these two links:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;180257
    http://www.winguides.com/registry/display.php/82/

3. mimo2005

mimo2005

4. tertiusvegas

Thanks for the insight. However, in looking over my earlier post, I might have been a little unclear. Exactly what happens, is that when right clicking on the desktop, NO DIALOG comes up at all. The icons blink out, then the desktop returns. There is no little box with "arrange icons, paste, new, "etc.
    Also when clicking the "create new folder" icon at the top of any given file browser window, the browser window goes away and the desktop returns. There is never an opportunity to create a new FOLDER. Creating a new FILE is OK.
    Also, right clicking in general is a little sketchy. Sometimes it reacts correctly (in some applications) and sometimes it doesn't - primarily in file browser situations.
    In your solution you say to right click on the ContextMenuHandler folder to create a new folder. I can't do this because this is exactly the problem - I can't right click to create a new folder.
    I read your links and it seems that they refer to a different problem than mine. I will check this registry value and see if it needs modification. Thanks for the help. Any other registry values that might be suspect?

tertiusvegas

5. bobol

bobol

6. tertiusvegas

Thanks - I'll give it a try. BTW Adaware and Spybot already installed and run regularly. Haven't tried Hijack this on this particular machine yet. Doesn't feel like that kind of error. My guess is some sort of reg error - the two pages you gave me look promising. I'll try your suggested fixes first.
    Thanks again - I'll post later.

7. mike5532g

mike5532g

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/273549

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice