1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannot delete 2 emails from my Inbox

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by mylan, Dec 1, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mylan

mylan Thread Starter

Am using Windows XP and Netscape 6.2 and I received two letters (identical) from a company and cannot delete them. The gray bar goes about half way and then just sits there. Other mail can be deleted as always....Please tell me how to delete these as they will sit in the Inbox forever!
    Thanks-
    Terri

2. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

Not knowing what you have done so far .....My advice is go to housecalls & run the free online virus scanner.
    Click here to do so!

for a free virus scanner you can add to your system... go get AVG. Click here to download AVG

and to protect yourself from hackers etc... Get Zone Alarm
    Click here the free version is fine

then there is spyware ... go get Ad-Aware
    Click here to download it

this should work... post bacl & let us know the results

Savvy :)

3. DoyceJ

DoyceJ

That can happen if the Deleted Items folder is damaged. Move all messages you might want to keep out of the Deleted Items folder and into another mail folder you create. Close OE, then delete the file "Deleted Items.dbx" in your Identity's store folder. OE will create a new one when you re-open OE.

4. mylan

mylan Thread Starter

I do not use OE - I use Netscape Mail!

5. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

Netscape messenger or Netscape webmail?

Messenger is very similiar to OE especially if you import mail thru your ISP to messenger.

example... my isp is @adelphia.net & my e-mail is @adelphia.net also.. its coming thru OE most likely.

Savvy :)

6. DoyceJ

DoyceJ

I dont use Netscape, but I do know that almost any part of it can be deleted and it will recreate. If you could locate the file for inbox or where ever the emails are residing at present, you could delete it and it will recreate.

7. hewee

hewee

Can you move the email from one folder to another?
    If so then make a new folder and move the email into that folder.

The open your users\mylan\mail folder.
    You may have other folders in the users\mylan\mail folder too that was added by you.

But you can delete all the files for the folders.
    Like your inbox folder is "inbox.smn".
    All the SMN Files can be deleted.
    Do this with Netscape close and the next time you open up your email you will see the message there and the count on the number of message will show a ??? but once you click in that folder it will make a new .smn file and log all the email that's in that folder.

Back up your user folder so you can get things back if you delete the wrong files but like I said you can delete all the .smn file types.

Great help here too.
    NETSCAPE SOLUTIONS
    http://home.att.net/~cherokee67/index6.html

http://home.att.net/~mojol/index2.html

8. hewee

hewee

Also if that email you can't delete is in your inbox move all the email you want to keep in another folder and you can delete both the "inbox and the inbox.smn. they will both be remade the next time you open Messenger.

Just shut down Netscape and Messenger first.

If you every see the SMN Files (folders) that you know you have not email in them and the file size is over 16KB then it got the history for old email in it still and just deleted it. Any new SMN Files (folders) that is for a folder that has no email in it will always be 16KB.

NOTE:

You have Netscape 6 so the size may not be the same but I think it is.

That web site above has an link to an forum you can help from the WebMistress.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/60301

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice