1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannot delete .doc file: "The filename you specified is not valid or too long"

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Nirit, Apr 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Nirit

Nirit Thread Starter

Hi Guys, I wonder if you could help me with this annoying problem, I've tried to search the internet for a solution but all my efforts failed so far :( I have a Word document which I saved for the first time not giving it a specific name, so it automatically named itself by the first line of the text in the document. The problem is that since it is in Hungarian, it contained a Hungarian vowel that was not recognized by the program, therefore this letter got replaced by a ? in the file name. This caused the whole file to get corrupted, neither can I open it anymore, nor delete it from the disk or rename it.

Here's what I tried to do so far:
    - rename or delete it by right-clicking on it - I get the error message "The filename you specified is not valid or too long"
    - remove it with Move on boot - after restarting Windows, the file is still there, nothing happens
    - repair the document from MS Word: File - Open - Open and repair - I get an error "This file could not be found"
    - move all the other files from the folder containing the corrupted file, then run the following command as admin: del\\?\D:\Users\Bori\Documents\*.* - after confirming I want to delete the file, I get the following message: "The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect"

I don't want to format the disk for this one annoying little file, is there any chance to get rid of it somehow?

I'm running Vista 32-bit, service pack 2, home edition.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions! :)

2. mtzlplex

mtzlplex Account Closed

You might try Unlocker, I have seen times Move on boot wouldn`t work on a file, but Unlocker would, just have to try to see. It is found here: http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/

3. Nirit

Nirit Thread Starter

Thank you for the tip, but unfortunately I couldn't download unlocker, my Nod 32 antivirus found an adware and didn't let me download it... any other ideas?

4. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

5. mtzlplex

mtzlplex Account Closed

The link I gave is to the actual author of the softwares site. If you had read down in the description of the software, faq, ect, you will see that evidently NOD 32 sees something that is really not a big problem. From the faq at the authors site: "My antivirus complains about Unlocker, is there any malware? No, Unlocker will always be 100% safe, check my blog for more info", also: Overall NOD32 is fair by classifying Unlocker as Adware since there are promotional shortcuts being installed

6. Nirit

Nirit Thread Starter

Ok, so I downloaded the program and tried to remove the file in question, it could not remove it automatically but asked if I wanted to remove it after rebooting, but after restarting the pc it it still there :S (meanwhile I also ran a chkdsk /f)

7. mtzlplex

mtzlplex Account Closed

8. Nirit

Nirit Thread Starter

Yes, I've tried to remove it in safe mode earlier but couldn't. So now I took ownership of the whole folder containing the file (could not do it with the file itself, it was not recognized, but since this is the only file in the folder right now, I thought it wouldn't hurt to delete all the folder) and tried to delete, no success. Then I restarted the pc in safe mode, still the same result :(

9. mtzlplex

mtzlplex Account Closed

I ran across this, sounds like you have a tough nut to crack, but it might be worth a try this is how someone approached the problem, and it worked for them: "Miracles never cease, I finally got the Corrupted Folder deleted. I decided to give the CUT & Paste another try. I CUT the Bad folder and Pasted it into another Folder, then brought up the folder that I Pasted into. I clicked on the Corrupted Folder and Clicked on DELETE, Lo and Behold it was deleted. Why this worked today and didn't work in the past is beyond me.Unless the Chkdsk I ran yesterday afternoon corrected something.I never attempted a Cut & Paste after the Chkdsk until this morning".

10. Phantom010

I also had that warning from NOD32 a while back. Curiously, downloading Unlocker from Filehippo doesn't bring up that prompt... :rolleyes:

11. mtzlplex

mtzlplex Account Closed

Nice to know Phantom010. The author states that Nod32 is more than likely seeing promotional shortcuts being installed, may be Filehippo will not allow those shortcuts to be used in their download link. For sure you would think that the authors site would be the cleanest, go figure.

12. Nirit

Nirit Thread Starter

I've tried the cut-paste method yet the same problem persists... seems I might have to get used to that file remaining there, huh?

As for Unlocker, I got the same warning from Nod 32 when trying to download from Filehippo, but in the end I trusted you guys (not the author of the program - I mean, wouldn't I want to convince people that my program was totally harmless if I wanted to spread a virus? :p), turned off virus protection and downloaded it anyway.

13. Phantom010

You can set an exception for Unlocker in NOD32. Unlocker is a useful program and has been used for years. But, since it's free, the author's got to get paid somehow...

14. mtzlplex

mtzlplex Account Closed

I don`t like giving up on anything, but sometimes you have to bite the bullet with operating systems. Everything I have suggested has always worked for me, but then again, not with a Hungarian twist. Unless the file is some kind of super security risk(or is making your OS unstable) that keeps you up all night worrying about it, I`m not proponent of formating an entire disk full of info/pics/music over a small word doc that can`t be deleted. If everything else OS wise is functioning aok, out of sight, out of mind, but also, that is just me. I used to be anal about things like that untill I figured out there are more important things to worry about. There may as well be someone else come along with a little more smarts than me(not hard to be), and more knowledge in the area you are having problems with that can help resolve your issue, give it a few days, and a bump, you never know. Good luck.

15. huggie54

huggie54

would something like this help if you put it on your desktop
    Try typing this in cmd
    del “\\?\%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\[copy and paste your annoying file name]”

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/914845

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice