1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannot delete file. Keeps coming back.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by whocaresido, Jun 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. whocaresido

whocaresido Thread Starter

My computer had a file that I wanted to remove but instead got this message:
    "Cannot delete file: Access is denied.The file is in use by another program or user."
    I was told to install unlocker to remove the file. I right-clicked unlocker on that file and it said there is nothing to be unlocked so I deleted the file through the unlocker options. I checked the recycling bin to see if it ended up there but that file was not in the recycling bin. I thought nothing of it and assumed it's gone for good but after I restarted the computer it came back. I also scanned and removed all the bugs from my computer but still no use. It keeps coming back. Although the file keeps coming back it contains nothing and takes up 0 space. Can someone help? Thanks in advance.

2. Soundy

Soundy

What sort of file is it, WHERE is it, and WHY does it NEED to be deleted?

3. whocaresido

the file was originally downloaded to the computer from a game site but now that folder is just empty. it keeps appearing on the desktop after I delete and restart the computer. and as for why um well it's just annoying. any ideas?

4. Forastero

Forastero

This sounds like a HJT case. Have you tried it?

5. whocaresido

yea I posted this in the malware removal hjt forum too. no response.

6. Soundy

Soundy

What is the file called? It's not "desktop.ini" is it?

7. whocaresido

lol no it's "gold miner". but I don't think knowing the name of the file will help because as I've said it is competely empty. It has 0KB. I don't know why it keeps coming back.

8. Soundy

Soundy

Well, knowing the name of the file could give an indication to what's putting it there, and possibly why.

9. whocaresido

ok it's gold miner, a game. does that help? probably not right?

10. Soundy

Soundy

No it doesn't, because that still doesn't tell us the name of the problem file. What IF - just IF - this phantom file is being created by something other than that game? Knowing the name of the game that you THINK is responsible doesn't help. If it's being created by some malware, knowing the name of that specific file may help determine the source... that it appeared at the same time as the game was installed may only be coincidence, or it may be that you got an infected installation of the game.

You could have just answered the question a half-dozen posts ago and we might have made some progress, but instead you've wasted everyone's time.

11. whocaresido

Who's everyone? Only you? I don't think typing a few sentences is wasting time. Sorry if your fingers are tired. You clearly don't know what you're talking about, you're just answering me with more questions . So really you're wasting my time. You obviously don't know how to solve this, which is fine, but stop posting for nothing with rudeness. Keep this forum friendly will ya? Thanks.

12. Soundy

Soundy

Who's "everyone"? Well since I appear to be the only one who's actually tried to help you in this thread, yeah, I guess that would be only me. Maybe nobody else has bothered because they have the same questions that you've insisted in arguing with me over.

You know, "what is the file name" is a pretty simple question - you could have just answered it in the first place and we'd be way further ahead, but instead you insist on dancing around it. You want people to help you, yet when they ask for more information, you argue about it rather than provide that information.

If you don't want to be cooperative with the people you're asking for assistance, that's fine... just don't expect any further help.

Bye!

13. whocaresido

The only one who tried to help? Lmfao yea if help means being completely rude. You keep asking for the file name yet the file name did not help did it? I think your ego is hurt because you don't know how to fix this. Relax it's not a big deal. I answered the file name long ago but you still didn't have anything to provide. Don't try to justify your lack of ability to help by fighting over a file name.

Bye! :rolleyes:

14. dr20

dr20

Have you tried running chkdsk? Sometimes that will fix it. At least it has with me when I ran into a problem with a file that would not be deleted.

15. whocaresido

No I haven't. Thanks for suggesting it :). Can you tell me what I exactly have to do? Thanks.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/723458