1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannot delete folder (System Folder type)

Discussion in 'DOS/Other' started by Rascalx3, Nov 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Rascalx3

Rascalx3 Thread Starter

Hello!

I have a problem with deleting a folder within my user folder (C:\Users\Matt). The folder is called Workspaces and apparently it is a 'System Folder' (see image below).

Attempt #1:
    I am unable to delete it with the command prompt or by recycle bin. I right-clicked on the folder to see the options and it only had [Open, Open in new window, Create shortcut].

Attempt #2:
    I tried to use the Command Prompt to delete it using the command "RMDIR /S Workspaces" (see image below) while in the Matt folder. I found something fishy though... when I did the command "ls" or "ls -al" (for hidden files), the folder Workspaces does not show up at all. I also noticed that their was nothing shown within the folder and neither could I access the folder if I used the command "cd Workspaces" in the command prompt.

I am new to the commant prompt commands so I'm not sure if I'm removing it properly, I tried searching on Google but nothing seemed to describe this problem. Would be really great if anyone could help!

[​IMG]

2. centauricw

centauricw

You need to use ATTRIB command to clear the SYSTEM setting for the folder before you can delete it.

3. Rascalx3

Rascalx3 Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply!

I tried using some variations of the attrib commands but it did not succeed! I looked it up and tried the following three commands while in the C:\Users\Matt directory and the folder I want to delete is in there.

attrib -s workspaces
    File not found

attrib -s /workspaces
    Invalid switch

attrib -s C:\Users\Matt\Workspaces
    File not found

What could I be doing wrong?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1026076