1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

cannot delete folders

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by D3llb0y, Dec 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. D3llb0y

D3llb0y Thread Starter

hi

copied my music folder onto a external hdd, some of the files have become corrupted or unreadable and now i cant delete them from the drive and the ones i have managed to delete are stuck in my recycle bin which i can no longer empty. when deleting the folder from the hdd drive i get 'cannot delete <folder name> the directory is not empty' and when i try to empty my recycle bin i get 'cannot read file. cannot read from source file or disk' when i try to delete some of the folders in the recycle bin i get either that the file is corrupted and unreadable or that it cannot read from source disk, i tried to run dskchk and it did something but i still cant delete the files on the external hdd

please can someone help me out?

2. 12tipp12

12tipp12

3. D3llb0y

D3llb0y Thread Starter

i have deleted all the folders in the recycle bin that i can i'm left with about 10 folders which i cannot delete even individually.

4. D3llb0y

D3llb0y Thread Starter

if it helps i get there four error messages when trying to delete the folders inb the recycle bin... cannot delete file or directory corrupted and unreadable, cannot remove folder directory is not empty, cannot delete file: cannot read from source file or disk, cannot delete cannot find specified file make sure you specify the correct path and file name

plz help

5. 12tipp12

12tipp12

have you opened the recycle bin and ran unlocker on each of the folders

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!