1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannot delete folders

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by yeyum, Feb 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yeyum

yeyum Thread Starter

Hi,
    After a very bad infestation I could not access the folder options, nor connect to any anti virus page to download it. Yes, I usually do not have any anti virus installed because I do not browse internet too often.
    So I followed a bad link and ... puff!
    Finally I managed to get rid of all the downloaders and trojans. One of them, I remember was vundo.
    I deleted all the folders in my hard drive minus 2:
    - One folder contained all the info I don't want to miss. Could not back up because is ~100 gb.
    - One folder that was in the documents and settings folder that I cannot delete.

I deleted all other folders and files, including windows and reinstalled windows xp.

I logged in secure mode and still could not erase it. I used the program "remover" and could remove some subfolders, but it does not work with many other subfolders.
    The subfolders I cannot erase look empty when I put the pointer on them, but show other subfolders when scanned with avira antivirus. If I try to access those subfolder windows xp shows the message
    "C:\route\foldername is not accesible
    Access is denied"
    if I try to delete it normaly it will show
    "cannot delte Foldername: Access is denied"

I changed the name of the folders using the program "remover" just to be sure in case that there are still some trojans there, since I cannot see what are the information contained.

Could some one give some hits about what could I do to remove that folder?
    Format is not an option, at least at the moment, since I cannot backup 100 gb of information that I cannot loose.

Thank you very much in advance, in case some one can help. :)

2. yeyum

yeyum Thread Starter

OK, I figured how to fix the problem.
    Here is the deal, in case any one else can use it.

First read the following link about how to own folders.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308421&Product=winxp
    Once I owned all folders and files was easy to erase everything.

I had a couple of files that could not be deleted , even when owned. But "Unlocker" helped with that.

Thank you to every body who make this forum possible.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/796491

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice