1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannot delete partly printed document from cue

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by MilliJoolz, Aug 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MilliJoolz

MilliJoolz Thread Starter

I doubt that I can post this question here but I assume it'll be removed if not.

I have an HP printer, 2540, wireless printer. Works fine.

I started to print a pdf file. Because it was a large file I choose the 'booklet' option, which prints 4 pages on one side, then, when everything of the even numbers (I think, not sure) has printed, you will get a message on the pc telling you how to replace the already printed pages in the printer so it can print on the backsides.

When I saw the first batch I decided I didn't like it. So when the message with instructions on how to replace the already printed paper, I went in the printer's menu, highlighted the name of the document and did 'cancel'. In this printer menu it now said it was 'deleting' the document. But it didn't. I waited about half an hour. I turned the printer off and back on. I closed the document. But still the printer menu said 'deleting'.

I opened the document up again, changed the settings for the printer (as in one sided, normal size) and accidentally hit 'print'. I then noticed that - in the printer menu - the 'new' document showed up above the one that still said it was deleting. But it still didn't print. I went in the print menu again and highlighted the new document and did 'cancel' and it did cancel it.

But the old document is still sitting there, 'deleting'. I can not get past that. Any suggestions would be highly appreciated.

PS - I thought of un-install the printer program and re-install it again. WOuld that work if nothing else does?

Thanks!!!!

2. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

There's a way to force these to delete, if you don't mind a little typing. You need to open a command prompt by running cmd.exe. If you're unsure of how to do that, tell me which operating system you're using and I can walk you through that. This should open up a black window, and you need to type in the following commands sequentially, hitting the Enter key after each command.

1. net stop spooler
    2. del %systemroot%\system32\spool\printers\* /q /f /s
    3. net start spooler
    The first command stops the printing service, allowing you to carry out the second command, which deletes any jobs in the queue. The last command re-starts the printing service, and you can try running a test print. Once that's all done, you can just close the black window.

3. MilliJoolz

Hi Loch,

After first command I receive:

"System Error 5 has occurred.

Access is denied".....

I am using Windows 7, V. 6.1.7601

Should I go to C:\ but without '\Users and\Milli' ?

4. MilliJoolz

Tried the C:\ but that isn't recognized as a command.

5. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

I can clear that up easily for you, Milli :)

Click on the Start button and where it say Search programs and files, type in cmd.exe. This should bring up the file at the top of the search list, so right-click on it this time and choose Run as administrator. This will give you the rights to do what I've outlined in Steps 1 through 3.

You needn't worry about having to go to the root of the drive (C:\), since the command I showed you can still be run from c:\Users\Milli because it has the full path to the area we need to focus on for deleting the jobs.

6. MilliJoolz

Done. Wow. Thank you so very much. I envy you for your knowledge, I kid you not! (y)

Kind regards,
    Milli

7. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

You're welcome :)

I need to know such things for work, plus my knowledge has been built up over the years with combinations of formal training and tortuous hit & miss experimentation...heh

8. MilliJoolz

I still want to express my appreciation to you and others on the TechGuy forums for taking the time to help and guide people like myself. So there!

9. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

LOL...you're most welcome, Milli!

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1154151

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice