1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannot delete user folder on windows XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Tnevz, Oct 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tnevz

Tnevz Thread Starter

I bought a computer from my friends wife. It's a DELL INSPIRON B130 with windows XP. problem is ANY time I save something it's saved to a folder with her name on it. I cant delete it or rename it because it's required for windows to run properly.
    At least thats the message I keep getting. I also tried to copy all items from this undeletable folder to a folder with name on it. And I tried taking off the read only access attribute. no success on any of this. The user administrative user account has my name on it though, so I cant figure it out, It's silly:p. Any suggestions??

2. devil_himself

devil_himself

Seems to me As the Account is Corrupted ..

Try Making a New "User Account" and see if the Problem Persists

3. Tnevz

Tnevz Thread Starter

Thanks for the help buddy. I tried it, but no success. I cannot move file DSAgnt (dellsupport) and cannot delete or move the NTUSER.DAT file from the APPLICATION folder thats in folder XXXXXXXXX (buddies wife's name). Both the DSAgnt and NTUSER.dat files are in use and therefore cannot be moved, deleted etc..
    But doing what you suggested gave me more success than previous attempts.

4. NIGHT5ER

NIGHT5ER

Why not just create a new account then try deleting the old one by going in to the user properties. make sure the new one is administrative.

5. devil_himself

devil_himself

6. Tnevz

Tnevz Thread Starter

Um, I wonder if the reason I cant delete the file is because the computer is "registered" to my buddies wife. I tried what you all suggested, but I cant delete or move the NTUSER.DAT. I'm not sure what this file is or does but I guess it's time to do some research. When i right clicked on MY COMPUTER, as suggested at the site
    http://www.petri.co.il/copy_user_profiles_in_windows_xp.htm I noticed that when I was at the GENERAL tab it said "registered to" and her name. I cant edit any of this info or can I?
    I was not able to the account going thru the my computer route, I had to use the control panel. One key note, her user account was just changed from her name to mine, but that one folder with her name on it, the one I cant delete, is still there. I have since deleted that user account altogether based on what you all said. My new account is administrative but the NTUSER.DAT isnt budging. Any other suggestions???

Thanks again for all the advice, this site is so awesome and informative.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!