1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannot Detect Network Card

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by skwolf75, Jan 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. skwolf75

skwolf75 Thread Starter

I recently lost everything to some sort of virus so I was forced to reformat and reisntall windows xp pro. After installing I can't access the internet, when I diagnose the connection issue with IE it says,

"Windows could not detect any wired or wireless network cards installed on your machine. If you are connecting to the Internet through your phone line using a dial-up connection you will need to contact your internet service provider. Otherwise please make sure that the network card drivers are installed properly or contact the manufacturer of your personal computer for further assistance."

I'm connected to a stable connection through an ethernet cable to my router, and nothing. I no longer have the driver recovery CD's that came with my computer, and I followed the advice of another person on this site that came across a similar problem, but we have different motherboards so I couldn't get the drivers to cooperate. My computer info is listed in my profile, I have an ABIT-AA8XE motherboard. Any help I could get would be greatly appreciated. Also let me know if you need any more information because I'm not super savvy with this stuff, but I can do my best.:D

2. johnebadbak

johnebadbak

3. skwolf75

skwolf75 Thread Starter

thanks for the quick response.

I ran the installer and at the end I got a warning box that said "Please shutdown and plug Realtek PCIE card to complete the installation" Does this mean that it's just no longer detecting my network card? I haven't removed it or even touched it before. I did a restart and got nothing as well. I'm truly stumped, my only thought is to replace my networking card which I have no idea where to go, how to install it, and what to look for. That might not even be the problem! :confused:

Any other ideas?

4. johnebadbak

johnebadbak

there is a recommended way to install the network card.Is the network an onboard type or can you remove the network card? if you can remove it uninstall from device manager shut down the machine and remove the card..
    boot up and run the software installer when the install process asks for the network card
    follow instructions as per the installer that is "Please shutdown and plug Realtek PCIE card
    you should find it will finish the install and configure the wireless process

5. skwolf75

skwolf75 Thread Starter

I want to say it's an onboard card. looking inside my computer there is a little silver box attached to where i plug in my ethernet cord, but toward the bottom there is a card that has to ports for phone cord like when I used to have dial up, back in the day. is the card a network card? and what is the box? just a port for the ethernet cord?

6. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

The box is your network interface card and it seems form your description that its onboard, or built into the motherboard. As badbak suggests, uninstall it in Device Manager by right clicking it under Network Adapters then Properties and Uninstall. Restart the computer which will then "find" it as a new device and go hunting for the driver - which it will hopefully find this time.

7. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

I'd suggest checking in the BIOS to make sure it wasn't disabled by the virus. The keystroke to enter the BIOS (aka Setup) should be displayed when you first start the PC; Del, F2, ESC are common.

8. skwolf75

skwolf75 Thread Starter

I tried both those things, each to no good result. Everything seems to be enabled in the bios. And I'm not sure what you mean by unistalling the driver, I had options to uninstall aspects of the driver like the protocol and stuff. a few of the things required restarts but were to no avail =/ I'm at a loss still!

9. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

Sounds more like you were in the Network Connection properties if you were seeing protocols.
    Right click My Computer, click Manage
    Click Device Manager
    Is there anything with a red X, yellow Exclamation point, or yellow Question MarK?
    Expand the Network Adapters category, and right click the network adapter and click Uninstall
    Or right click the network adapter and click Properties, then click the Driver tab, then click the Uninstall button.

10. skwolf75

skwolf75 Thread Starter

I uninstalled and reinstalled 1394 Net Adapter and 1394 Net Adapter #2 then I did a restart and they were automatically there again once it loaded up, with no results... And under Other Devices the following have both a yellow question mark and a yellow exclaimation point:

Audio Device on High Definition Audio Bus
    Ethernet Controller
    Multimedia Audio Controller
    PCI Input Device
    Video Controller (VGA Compatible)

That mean anything?

11. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

The 1394 is the Firewire adapter.
    The Ethernet controller is the Network card, the exclamation means it's not working.
    If you double click the device, there should be a status message, probably saying the drivers haven't been installed

Have you downloaded and installed any of the drivers since re-installing XP? If the chipset driver hasn't been installed, the onboard components might not be detected properly, so the drivers won't install.

They can all be downloaded from the link johnebadbak provided in post #2

You'd need to install the Chipset driver first, then I'd do Ethernet, Video, Audio.

THe download links for the v 9.0.0.1007 Chipset driver doesn't seem to be working. You can grab the v 8.3.0.1013 driver, or you can download the latest IntelĀ® 925XE / IntelĀ® ICH6R Express Chipset driver from the Intel download site

12. skwolf75

skwolf75 Thread Starter

I got the v 8.3.0.1013 driver installed and afterward ran the installation on the v686 and then it told me to shut down and make sure the realtek pcie card was plugged to complete the installation. It's a circle. It's a circle of hate and pain! :(

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/893310

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice