1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannot detect other computers on network

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by yohan610, Mar 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. yohan610

yohan610 Thread Starter

I jus got my laptop with vista business..im living in an campus accomodation which has its own network..i entered the correct workgroup name, and while my friends are downloadin files from other computers on the netwrok, i still cant..i can see a far less number of computers on my netwrok screen..also sometimes each computer has 2 icons, one which looks like a computer and the other which looks like as if its some media file(this opens windows media player when its double clicked)..can anyone help me as to how i can detect all the computers in the network and then proceed to download from htem..btw, all my friends are using XP..The windows and norton firewalls are off..

2. spdabbs

spdabbs

If you have the network set to Private, network discovery ON, file & printer sharing ON, it should pick up the other PCs fine. When you've set all that, have a look at the full network map, you should be able to double click on computers on that map to be prompted for a user/pass then you will have access to the shared docs on the relevant PC

3. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

So you do see some computers which is good. Usually if Network Discovery is off, you don't see anything.

As far as detecting all the computers, you might have to wait for a while to be able to browse to them. As a quick test, if you know another computer's name, trying pinging it by that name.

Also viewing the fill network map will only work if the other computers are either Vista or XP with a patch from Microsoft. But they will show up in the Network and Sharing Center.

4. techy689

techy689

5. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

The solution there was that the workgroup name wasn't the same. Suggested checking it early in that other post. Finally it was done and apparently solved the problem.

Here it seems like the workgroup name is already there - "i entered the correct workgroup name"

6. yohan610

yohan610 Thread Starter

there is a light problem in our network since many people are entering the wring workgroup name..i entered the workgroup name on which my friend was able to see loads of computers and was even able to download from them..from the few computers tht i saw, some asked me for a password, and for the others it came sayin tht there's a problem which has to b diagonosed..lookin at the full netowrk map, is tht done by selecting the 2 computers which are inbetween my computer and the internet in the netwrok and sharing centre???is there any program or patch tht i can install??

7. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Again you don't need to use the full network map.

If computers have different workgroup names, that could be a problem with browsing.
    If you are being prompted for a password, then likely you don't have access.
    If you are trying to connect to other people's computers and don't have access, that is something you should be taking up with them.

Being on a campus, are you supposed to always have access to just anyone's computers. If it were mine, I would want restrictions as well.

8. yohan610

yohan610 Thread Starter

noo..the problem is, other people on the same workgroup say for example can see 20 computers..whereas i can see only about 5 computers, with some havin 2 or 3 icons each...

9. techy689

techy689

Well.. i referenced the link because there are many other possible solutions... one of them could be his.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!