Cannot detect scanner

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

slyvone

Hello,
I am trying to install a scanner: AGFA DuoScan T1200 (older model)
onto my computer: Intel P4 @ 2.4, 512 MB RAM, Windows 2000

I have downloaded/installed the latest driver from the internet and program seems to run fine however no device can be detected.

This scanner pre-dates USB so I am trying to connect via SCSI into LPT1 on my comp.
In the device manager it says LPT1 is working properly and I recently did have a printer operating through this port.
In the control panel through "Scanners and Cameras" it displays no scanners as "Installed" and when I try to "Add" it does not offer this make/model scanner (or any scanners for that matter, only digital cameras).

Any help is very appreciated.:)

Ouch!

If the scanner is actually SCSI interface and you have plugged it into the PC parallel port (which is not SCSI, by the way) then you may have more than simple incompatability.

The voltages and pin layouts are not compatable, and damage can occur. This damage can affect both the scanner and the PC port in some cases.

As stated here:
http://www.cablemakers.com/connector.html

"Be careful when dealing with DB-25 ports. A parallel port and a SCSI port look the same on some computers. (Past experience has shown that plugging a parallel printer into a SCSI port causes damage to all of the devices on the channel, including internal devices.)"

slyvone

kiwiguy said:
Ouch!

If the scanner is actually SCSI interface and you have plugged it into the PC parallel port (which is not SCSI, by the way) then you may have more than simple incompatability.

The voltages and pin layouts are not compatable, and damage can occur. This damage can affect both the scanner and the PC port in some cases.

As stated here:
http://www.cablemakers.com/connector.html

"Be careful when dealing with DB-25 ports. A parallel port and a SCSI port look the same on some computers. (Past experience has shown that plugging a parallel printer into a SCSI port causes damage to all of the devices on the channel, including internal devices.)"
Thank you Kiwiguy! I was unaware of the above described incompatability and the link you provided was a great resource.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online