1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannot disable Onboard Video so Voodoo3 will work

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Matrikx_, Jan 28, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Matrikx_

Matrikx_ Thread Starter

I have win98se 766mhz celeron 40g hd 128m memory.
    I have tried to install the voodoo 3 pci card as its instructions say however it say to remove old video card. I have onboard video. I went into BIOS to disable onboard video. But when i highlight it and press Enter it gives me 2 options onboard video w/ 512k or onboard video w/1m. On the right side of the screen where it gives a descripiton of the options it list Disable onboard video as an option. I have tried the - and + also Space bar, holding down Cntrl, and Alt in hopes its a hidden key all any of these key will do is toggle back and forth from 512k to 1m. I have tried removing the display adapters for device manager and rebooting using the Voodoo3 card input slot for my monitor so far i get visual from the card but in device manager i have no monitor up and the display adapters are conflicting. Thanks for any help all suggestions are welcome

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Sorry about the confusion on the threads.....I got your sound problem from the past mixed up with this one.....

Have you tried the ENTER key?

3. brianF

brianF

go into bios and try changing from initilize agp to initialize pci in bios

If you can boot in safe mode with both cards, try going into device manager, select the onboard, properties, disable in this hard ware profile.

4. Matrikx_

Matrikx_ Thread Starter

I only have one card the PCI card no AGP slot and its the onboard that i cant stop from intializing. I tried enter also but all it does is select the highlighted entry as your choice. I looked all in bios and i cant find anything that says initailize pci or agp. BTW i have PheonixBios if that helps any.

5. stanggt2

stanggt2

make sure that there is not a jumper on the motherboard that has to be changed too

6. Matrikx_

Matrikx_ Thread Starter

I checked the mother board for the JP9 jumper with no avail. After more looking i noticed this motherboard has NO jumpers..... strange to say the least. I am begininng to lose hair here. I am hoping that somehow it has to do with BIOS and maybe if i download a newer version thatll fix it. Do any of you know a site for downloading a new bios and how to install it. Ill make sure to print this thread before I try to install.

7. stanggt2

stanggt2

if you tell us what brand motherboard and model somebody (I am sure) will be able to help if i can not

8. supertech

supertech

i thought when you changed theses settings you pressed shift then plus or minus or typed in a command????
    :D

9. Matrikx_

Matrikx_ Thread Starter

Ill try the shift then plus or minus thing. Im not sure what you mean by typing a command in though. PS I dont know what kind of motherboard i have but the PC i have is a Pavalion XE813.

10. ~Candy~

For all other HP Pavilions, the on-board video needs to be disabled in either the BIOS or by changing a jumper on the main board. Go to HP's Search Support Page, type Pavilion followed by the actual model number and type BIOS Setup. If information on disabling the on-board video is not in any of the BIOS setup documents, then go back to HP's Search Support Page and search on Jumper Settings.

http://www.hp.com/cposupport/personal_computing/support_doc/bph05529.html

11. Matrikx_

Matrikx_ Thread Starter

I did as you instructed though it took time to run thru all the info to track down exactly what i needed. Heres what happened. I went to HP site. found out how to disable on board video. It said to unistall then reinstall current video drivers. Done that then change that driver to a standard video driver done that. Then check the Exists in all hardware box donethat then install the card. done that . After installing the card i begin to install the driver for the card when doing so it causes the PC to restart and does so without asking you in a windows window . It just restarts by itself. Then after the windows welcome screen I get a black screen with this at the top. "Windows proctection Error. Please restart your computer. I do so and it keeps giving me this error. I have to go into safe mode and remove the Voodoo3 device driver to get windows back.

12. ~Candy~

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66791

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice