1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannot disconnect from Sympatico Connection

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by ddimanno, Jan 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ddimanno

ddimanno Thread Starter

I have a 1998 HP Pavillion. I use Windows 98.
    I just installed Bell Sympatico high speed internet connection.
    I am using the USB modem that Bell sent me. I installed the hardware and software correctly, and I'm able to connect and surf the net just fine. The problem is that when I try to disconnect, the disconnecting window appears but then it just hangs there, it freezes!! The tech support guy at sympatico told me to ask you guys for help.
    While the disconnecting page is hanging and I press ctrl, alt, delete, it tells me that 'winoldap' is not responding. If I end task I am then able to diconnect.
    The tech support guy said it could be the device adapter. Right now I have a Intel(R) 810 Chipset Graphics Driver PV1.1 version 2.
    the date of it is 07/14/1999. I was told that if I upgrade this it should fix my problem. Is this true and how can I upgrade it? What site do I go to, to get the upgrade?
    I checked the Intel site but there are so many things to upgrade I don't know which one I need.

2. jimi

jimi

[tsg=welcome][/tsg]
    haven't put on of those for awhile, check this thread and see if it helps with your problem, might not, but the cavalry will be on the way. another method is to use the search function at the top of the forums page and look for "winoldap" seems others have had problems with this also.

again welcome, have to send those guys at sympatico a thanks

3. ddimanno

ddimanno Thread Starter

I can not find the HKLM\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\run service file.

4. Del

Del

5. jimi

jimi

the runservices is a registrey entery, not a file, are you familiar with running regedit? if not please let us know before attempting this proceedure and we can advise

6. Del

Del

Updating the driver for his video card, Intel with get rid of the winoldapp and with that not sitting there saying not responding, he disconnects fine.

7. ddimanno

ddimanno Thread Starter

Hey Jimi,
    I have never run regedit??? So I'm not sure what I am being advise to look for. I know how to get to regedit but once I'm there I'm lost.

Del,
    You know my situation a bit better then me, perhaps you can explain it to everyone else.

8. jimi

jimi

try del's solution, seem's to be on track, let us know. lets leave editing the registry alone till later if need be

9. ddimanno

ddimanno Thread Starter

I tried Del's solution. I went to the site he gave me and downloaded an upgrade. I tested it twice and ut seems to be working. I'll let you guys know if it fails on me again.
    Thanks for the Help!!!!

10. Del

Del

That should fix it for you, but if you have any other problems with it, let us know.
    Have a great day.
    Del

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/114997

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice